Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NC youth hunt

Old 04-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default NC youth hunt

I have a new hunting partner,took a neighbors kid on his firstyouth turkey hunt today. After waiting for some severe thunderstorms to pass at 6:45 we were walking to our first setup it was a bust. 1 tom 3 jakes and 4 hens roosted last night went in the wrong direction this morning. Second setup 3 jakes came gobbling their heads off from about 100yds out,we got our first look at them at 25yds but they were behind some brush still coming in. Jarred and I were setup a little awkward in a stump pile with his back to my shoulder. He was shaking like a leaf in the autumn wind,I was whispering in his ear trying to calm and coach him. I let the birds clear the brush a couple yards then while he tracked the lead bird with the gun,just as I whispred take him Jarred's tired and trembling hand slipped on the shooting stick dropping the barrel about 6 inches. All 3 birds now at 15yds came to attention and froze. I whispered pick one and take him but Jarred's adrenilin soaked arm was a noodle as he fired a load of #5's just in front of the nearest bird's feet. My new best friend turned and said "Dang I missed but this is awsome." After about an hour cool down for my buddy I asked was he ready. He said "Not to go home." Third setup lone jake with 5 hens 500yds out, after some sweet talk on a Mountanside-Raspy Mtn Cutter he broke away from his girls in a dead run toward us. We were setup in a little pocket 10yds off the side of the field , our eager prey came 485yds only to lock up behind a bush(no shot) then he turned and walked away. I don't know what spooked him,I don't think it was us but my shooter handled it like a pro. Fourth setup we decided to do a little blind calling on the edge of a large pasture. After about 20 min we spotted 2 white noggins coming over a rise 80yds out then they droped back out of sight. Then the threatning skies opened up a small downpour,after 30-45min of soaking rain my now vetran hunting partner told me he was getting cold. I stood up to check,the birds were still there. I told my buddy this is your hunt you call the shots. He said "We'll leave them for next time" As the downpour soaked us on the 1/2 mi walk to the truck I agreed with him,next time! On the ride to his house he thanked me and said"I'm wet,I'm cold,I'm tired and I'm ready to go again as soon as I get dried and warm. Turn the heater on please." Had him home at 12:00 the rain continued so we ended a great day chasing turkeys.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:27 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: NC youth hunt

Great story - good luck with your new found partner tomorrow!

JW
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like y'all had fun. We went up to Granville County but didn't have any luck. Two nice gobblers were taken off of our hunting club in Trenton while we were gone. Maybe next saturday.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

BT,call me Mon.