Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Knight TK2000 or T/C Encore Turkey Gun

Old 03-28-2008, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Knight TK2000 or T/C Encore Turkey Gun

Looking at buying a new muzzleloader shotgun for turkeys. Can anybody give me some feedback on these two guns? Thanks for any input
Old 03-28-2008, 04:59 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Knight TK2000 or T/C Encore Turkey Gun

I'll be watchin this one - good topic
Old 03-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Budget is the word....
Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Kingvjack,

I agree on the budget aspect. T/C is very pricey. But they also have the advantage of exchanging barrels. I just can't seem to want to spend $700 on a muzzleloader shotgun, but the quality of T/C is great
Old 03-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have both and as far as performance, they are neck and neck. The biggest plus for the encore would be if you wanted to change barrels out etc. and that you can use BP pellots. The TK2000 uses powder, but both shoot and pattern with very little difference. I had an encore BP rifle and gun barrels, then got the BP shotgun barrel and won the TK2000 at my NWTF banquet. Even if you already have an encore, besides the barrel, you will have to buy a fore end too. KEEP THAT IN MIND! They BP rifle foreend does not fit! I tried using the pellots in the TK2000, but you get inconsistent patterns, couldn't tell you why, but good pattern with the powder. I use the Pistol powder, burns a lil faster!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:34 PM

I've got the TK2000 and the Pro Hunter with the .50 cal BP barrel. I love BOTH. I'm not aware of the loads you can put in the TC barrel but I thought those barreles only accept loads up to 1 1/2 oz of shot. (maybe I'm wrong). I do know the TK2000 will glad to take 2 1/2 oz of shot and with the jug choke design, its great for loading. I'd challenge anyone with attempting to push a shot cup filled with lead down the barrel before purchasing the weapon. Thats not a normal practice but something I've had to do before. You can do this with the TK2000 but i don't know any other one that you can. My thoughts are: "The Encore line (pro hunter included) are a fantastic platform for rifles, But the TK is a designed for ONE thing. Turkeys." It throws a ridiculous sized load down range and does it well.

BTW .. if you do get the TK2000 get the thumbhole version. The standard stock leaves the webbing over you thumb/pointing finger VERY close to the fire mech. Recoil on this gun is LARGE and the webbing in your hand can "Get some" if your not careful. Thethumbhole removes this issue. If you decide to hunt small game or Geese (yes you can shoot steel aslo) you can always buy the the standard stock to loosen up your stance.

Another point ...NEVER EVER shoot pellets in a shotgun. Always shoot loose powder. Pellets are .50 cal in size, they are NOT 12 gauge in size. If you shoot 777, don't exceed 105 grains as the gun is rated for 120 Grains of black powder. One hint "heavy shot" !!! Get it is "6 shot". Its extra dense so you get better penetration than leade but the smaller shot makes for a denser pattern. Some small gun shops will sell a pound for $20. Wanna see something funny, go shoot heavy shotin either #5 or #4 at 30 yards with that extra full choke. It'll make ya want to put a scope on.