Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

barrell length ?

Old 02-16-2003, 04:52 PM

Default barrell length ?

i have the option of using a 26" or 30" barrell on my 870. does the longer, heavier barrell give me any noticable velocity advantages?
Old 02-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: barrell length ?

Not much if any, the shorter barrel will be the best choice if you want it for mainly turkey hunting.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:03 PM

I think i read somewhere that after 26" you don`t get much more velocity. It does make a difference if your barrel is real short 21" versus 26" etc.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

FYI...the idea that longer barrels equates more range/speed/power comes from the days when it really did make a difference. The powder used today is different from the powder your grandfather shot. Back then the powder didn' t burn as fast as it does today, so they needed the longer barrels to contain the explosion for a longer period of time. It was especially important to the waterfowlers back then.
Like Strut & Turk-man said not much. The biggest effect barrel length will have on your gun its balance & handling. Maybe something to consider if you plan on using the gun for wingshooting in addition to turkeys. Then there' s the weight issue. If you don' t need the extra weight, don' t get it. Bottomline...26" will do fine.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

I use a Rem 870 exp mag 12ga pump w/20" barrel w/extra full turkey choke. Using 3" magnum shells.

Old 02-17-2003, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The shorter barrels are much easier to manuver around brush when set-up, also when your gun is slung over your shoulder it won' t catch the branches or brush as your walking through the woods as a longer barreled gun would!! Like mentioned above, modern shotshells burn up their powder completely within the first 18-20" of barrel length!! So by shooting a much longer barrel your really not gaining anything. A long barrel is better suited for duck or geese shooting where wing shooting mandates a longer sight plain and balance for that kind of shooting. I prefer a barrel length of 21-24" tops!!
Old 02-17-2003, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' d go with the 26" barrel
Old 02-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

The longer the barrel the more velocity you will have. I would go with 30" barrel.
wernerjd
Old 02-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I am not mistaken most major shotgun ammo manufacturers test and report their velocity figures after firing from a 30" barrel. If they in fact do this and you are shooting a shorter barrel you will not achieve their published velocity. Read this link from Nitro ammo : http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

I' m not going to repost their actual numbers because you can go to the link I provided and read for yourself. I personally use a 28" barrel and it works well for me. It can be a little more cumbersome to move around but I do not mind it.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

26 inch is a good length. Right in the middle. You have a longer sighting plane than a 20 inch barrel. 30 inch is a bit long.

Quick Reply: barrell length ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.