Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey with a bow

Old 03-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default turkey with a bow

This spring turkey season i plan to go turkey hunting with my bow and without a blind! Yes,i know, almost impossbile. lol. But im willing to try it.

Does any one got any tips for what Ishould do when i come across one.

What my plan was to...

Wait for the turkey to turn and face the other way and then pull back and then just hold it untill i get a good enough shot and then shoot it.

and one more question, where should i shoot it if im using a bow.

Should i try and get the head or should i shoot it like in breasts and try to get some vitals.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: turkey with a bow

most people turn down their bow so it is a little easier to hold for an extended period.

shot placement depends on the broadhead you are planning on using. a normal broadhead you would want to place a shot almost right where the rounded part of the wing touches the body.

Take a pair of pruning shears with you. then you can cut some small branches and make a small blind to at least break up your outline.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright, ill be sure to try making me own homemade blind. It should be pretty easy as where im sitting will have tall tall grass that is about up to my waist and then i have all kinds of trees behind me. Ill try grabbing some tree limbs and make one around it.

I have never gotten a turkey, and when I do I want to get it with a bow. I personally hate guns. But I sitll use them for certain things.

I have muzzy broadheads.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Only hunted in the fall with the bow and love it! I’ve taken three gobblers so far and all have been without a blind. Don’t get me wrong, I have one but just seem to do better without than with it. I feel fall hunting is not easier than in the spring, when you’re chasing gobblers only. I’ve called in several birds but either jakes or hens come in first and busted me.

Back to tips for ya! A blind is great but I’ve found it sometime limits you the blind. If you got to move your set up, you’ve got to carrying it around or leave it behind. I’d suggest a light quick blind like the rolled cloth ones. Try to use large trees, brush piles or creek bottoms to get shots off but be careful of other hunters as always. Best of luck and hunt safe!!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your doing the same thing im doing this year to, im taking both my bow and gun down to where we hunt but im hunting with teh bow the first 2 days and then shotgun the last 2. I'm not using a blind, well only them little roll out ones with the 4 stakes. Im also shooting muzzy's. Best of luck to you
Old 03-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I have only hunted turkeys once and that one time I never got anything to come in, all i could do was hear them.

I have no clue of what im suppose to be waiting for.
Oh well, it was the same with me for deer hunting my first year, they will come.

Got any ideas for a good call?
Old 03-22-2008, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

I am also using my bow for the first time this year

Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I have 2 tags and some very promising places to hunt so my intentions are to hunt with my shotgun to start with and then if I'm successful, I'm going to try to get one with my crossbow. Being handicapped, I can't shoot a verticle bow. I'll be hunting from a blind and using decoys. I slipped up to one of the farms yesterday and there were 18 turkeys in a small field. Four of them were nice toms.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with those turkeys, wish the best for you all who are taking your bows out. Make sure you report back here with pictures.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AndrewAP

This spring turkey season i plan to go turkey hunting with my bow and without a blind! Yes,i know, almost impossbile. lol. But im willing to try it.

Does any one got any tips for what Ishould do when i come across one.

What my plan was to...

Wait for the turkey to turn and face the other way and then pull back and then just hold it untill i get a good enough shot and then shoot it.

and one more question, where should i shoot it if im using a bow.

Should i try and get the head or should i shoot it like in breasts and try to get some vitals.
I don't use a blind.... ever...for anything... I'm just plain bad like that.

Quick Reply: turkey with a bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.