Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New To Turkey

Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New To Turkey

I've deer hunted successfully over the past few years and although i've gone out for turkey once i had no luck.
I am debating on using my 20 gauge shotgun or my 22 mag. I have been doing some scouting and decided on using my blind in a place that will give me a 30 yard shot at most.

My questions are:

1. If i decide on the 20g will 30 yards be too far with a full choke? (the full is what came with the Moss 500)

2. If i decide on the 22mag where would i shoot the bird? I would be using a scoped gun off of shooting sticks in my blind.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: New To Turkey

Danny your 20 ga. will work fine. GO pattern that gun.......here is a link to the target I use.
I only count pellet holes in the skull, eye, neck bones8 to 12 is my rule of thumb for a really dead turkey and that pellet count dictates my yardage - though I try to call em in under 20 yards. Try 4s, 5s or 6s copper plated lead = penetrates better,

http://lewand.tripod.com/turkeytargets.html

now in some states it is legal to use a rifle.....not all tho...check you regs.....and turkey huntings' ultimate goal is you call em up close and personal!

But check that a 22 is legal - tho I advise against it. If it is - nd that is what you so chooseaim for the head.....

any body shot - especailly with a shotgun - all ya got is a wounded bird that can get away - quicker than you can imagine.

JW
Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 PM

Good advise JW!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks JW.
Yeah you can pretty much use any gun you want here in WV. The 22 Mag is fine.
As long as my 20g can get to that range that's what i'll use. I went out tonight and bought a #4 copper plated lead turkey load. I'll pattern it this weekend.
Thanks again
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont use a .22, thats my #1 suggestion. Pattern your 20ga to see how it is at 30 yards. But at the top of my head I would say 30 max with the full choke.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, bought some #4 3inchand went out with the 20g. With a full choke, using JW's target (bucksnort with the target circles on it) i was only getting 5-8 pellets in the prescribed kill zone(vertebrae and skull)at 30 yards.
The pattern was very wide in my opinion. Approximately 22 inches in diameter.

Would getting an extra full choke and going with #5 (i'm assuming more pellets), generally produce better results.

FYI,
This is the first time i'm trying to pattern a shot gun so i may be way off base in my thinking here. I can dial in a centerfire rifle and understand that just fine but obviously this is a different animal all together
Old 03-23-2008, 06:14 PM

The extra full choke would produce a tighter pattern, but you can stick with your #4 shot shells if they pattern good
Old 03-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

If you are using the 20 gauge I would strongly advise you to use Hevi-shot and go with #6s and stay away from #4s. It is a small load to start with (1.25 oz in three inch shells) which means you want the most pellets in my opinion, therefore #6s. Keep your range reasonable (30-35 yards) and you'll be fine. My son's gun (Rem youth 870 express) patterned the Remington Hevi-shot 1.25 oz #6 great before I switched him to Nitros.

I posted a pic my son's first turkey taken Saturday with his 20 gauge. It has a Primos Tightwad choke and he was shooting the Nitro triplex load 4x5x7, 1and 7/16 oz. He absoluted smoked that turkey with multiple head and neck hits at approximately 28 yards.. Very impressive. Those hevishot #7s have plenty of energy at 30-35 yards and there are a zillion of them in there.I truly believe thatload is the ultimate for a 20 gauge.

Someday I may set up a 20 gauge to hunt with myself, but only if I can get my hands on the Nitro shells. That little 20 sure was a pleasure to carry around compared with my Mossberg 835 Ultimag.

Edit: One more thing - spend a few bucks and get a decent turkey choke, one that is ventilated to reduce recoil and strip the wad as the load exits the barrel. You'll get better patterns and your shoulder will thank you for it. You don't have to spend a fortune to get one that will work either.

Good luck

Mouthcaller
Old 03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

mouthcaller,
Thanks for the help.I'm looking for a new choke and i'll get a box of the #6 heavi-shot. I've got a couple of weekends available to me before turkey season starts here. That should give me enough time to figure out what works best. I'm having a harder time finding chokes for my Moss 500 20g than i thought i would.
I appreciate everyone's input.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

Danny - let us know what choke you buyfor that Mossberg and how those Hevi-shot #6s pattern in it.

Good luck

Mouthcaller

Quick Reply: New To Turkey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.