Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey scouting?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 AM
Spike

Default Turkey scouting?

I'm relatively new to turkey hunting and I wanted to know when you guy's start scouting for these said birds? I'll be hunting the Western part of Pa. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Spike

Default RE: Turkey scouting?

I try to multi-task this time of year in the woods. I go out and shed hunt and while I'm at it I look for turkey sign (leaves raked up, droppings, footprints).
Also, in the next month, you willstart to hear them gobble.You can use locator (crow and/or owl) calls to get them to gobble, butI like to get in the woods early to hear them sound off naturally.When I hear them, Iscout out some possible spots to hunt from and get out. The more times you go into the woods, the greater the risk of being seen by them and spooking them. I don't like to use turkey calls in my scouting because I don't want to educate them on my calling pattern. If you can do this a week before the season, the birds should still be in the same location for opening day.
Good luck.