Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Benelli Choke Tube?

Old 02-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Benelli Choke Tube?

I just got a new Benelli Nova and am looking for a good choke tube for turkeys. Which one should I get? I obviously know I got to pattern different loads, but what choke has worked best for you in the Nova?I like to shoot 3 1/2 inches and I don't use hevi-shot. Let's hear it!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Benelli Choke Tube?

I can give you a little info. I have a SBE Beneilli and use an Undertaker hevi-shot. Before using hevi-shot, I tried many choke tubes and the best combo I found was a Comp-n-choke ported with Winchester 3 1/2 #6 shot. My dad has a nova and he also uses the Undertaker hevi-shot, before that he used a regular Undertaker but I am not sure what shell he used. It is kinda hit and miss, you just have to buy a tube and try different brands, lenghts and shot size shells to find that perfect combo. It can get expensive.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have used the carlson xx choke and the primos jellyhead in the nova. The jellyhead with a hevi-shot load was great. The carlson choke with federal flight control was best.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hearing a lot of people using hevi-shot. Is it all it is cracked up to be? Should I look for a choke that can handle it?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

If you do use hevi-shot, you must use a choke that is made to handle it, you can also shoot lead in these, but you cannot shoot hevi-shot in a lead only tube. The hevi-shot has more down range energy, but pattering is more important, just like shot placement, find a load your gun likes and find a range it likes, sometimes it takes a lot of experimenting. FYI, my dad uses in his Nova, Undertaker Hevi-shot tube, and the old Remington Hevi-shot 3 1/2 # 5 shot. Remington doesn't make Hevi-shot loads, now it is call Wingmaster HD. I haven't shot any yet, I still have a couple boxes of the old Remington Hevi-shot.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a new Nova last year. Carlson x full choke patterned best for me . Using Winchester Supreme 3 inch shell with 13/4 ounce load.
# 5 shot