Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shot size

Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Default Shot size

What is the best shot size to hunt turkeys with. And what shell do you get the best performance out of.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Shot size

Depends on your pattern. I use Federals 3" 2oz 5 shot. They shoot best from my gun...
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is just like what hair color on a lady produces the best wife (brunette) or the best girlfriend (blonde) or who makes the best truck (chevy) or even the best import truck (toyota).

But the answer is #6 shot. I've never used anything but #6s. Patterned plenty of everything, but #6s have always done me right. As long as you don't plan on shooting at extreme distances and shoot birds in the head/neck they will lay'em down.

Gotta shoot that gun and see what your gun likes, thats the only way to get an answer and not a bunch of opinions! Good Luck!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

That is just like what hair color on a lady produces the best wife (brunette) or the best girlfriend (blonde) or who makes the best truck (chevy) or even the best import truck (toyota).

But the answer is #6 shot. I've never used anything but #6s. Patterned plenty of everything, but #6s have always done me right. As long as you don't plan on shooting at extreme distances and shoot birds in the head/neck they will lay'em down.

Gotta shoot that gun and see what your gun likes, thats the only way to get an answer and not a bunch of opinions! Good Luck!
I will agree with SwampCollie on the #6 shot. Plus, when shooting #6 shot, you will get more pellets in the shell, resulting in more pellets flying at the bird. #6 shot won't always pattern the best...One thing about shotguns and patterning is there is never an always. If you and I have the same exact setup, my gun may shoot better than yours, or vice-versa. I have been talking with a former world record holder in still target shotgun shooting (Clark Bush), and he tests several shotshells with several different guns / chokes and he says that more often than not, a 3" #6 shot shotshell will produce the best evenly spread pattern at 40 yards. As far as brand of shell, most people have pretty good luck with the winchesters...particularly the Xtended Range. They are a High Density shotshell and cost around $30 to $35 a box.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

With my rig I could ethically go as low as 7.5s if I wanted to, the density is so high that at 30 yards it would shear a gobbler's head right off, but I use 6s.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 PM

I have always used 6's but I am thinking about switching to 5's
Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

I Like 6's best
Old 02-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

With my rig I could ethically go as low as 7.5s if I wanted to, the density is so high that at 30 yards it would shear a gobbler's head right off, but I use 6s.

Sorry dude but aint no "turkey"gun holding a pattern good enough to take a gobblers head off at 30 yards You might want to sell that !@#$ some were else
Old 02-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta see some pictures of this pattern!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hick442

What is the best shot size to hunt turkeys with. And what shell do you get the best performance out of.

You can spend a lot of money on turkey shells...
Oryou can buy your self some Winchester HV #5'sand most likely be done

I've got 4 turkey guns and every one of them is loaded with Winchester turkey loadsYou can lisen to me now or you can lisen to me later