Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help with a turkey combo.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Help with a turkey combo.

I know this is a bit of a gneeral question but I'm going to be giving turkey hunting a shot for the first time this year.

I will be using a Mossberg 500. I was thinking of either a jellyhead or pure gold tube. If any one here has tried or uses either of these tubes in a 500 which do you find produces the best patterns and with which shells and shot size?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with a turkey combo.

I don't have a 500 but I do have a Jelly Head and I really like it. Having said that, try calling the guys at Pure Gold and tell them what you're shooting and what you're trying to achieve with your gun and I'm sure that they'll be more than happy to help you out. It'll save you the guess work as well,and maybe some wasted money on a choke that you don't need.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I will definetly give both Primos and Legacy a call. I'd check out Rhino also but even at dealer cost those things are dang expensive. I'm not that mad at turkeys.

I just want to get some unbiasedthoughts first.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Toros grande;

I use an 835, which is different but similar to a 500.

I personally use a Pure Gold in my 835. They have a 30 day money back guarentee... you really can't lose. If y'all sell them at your shop, then you really really can't lose . I do also have a Jellyhead, which for the money is a good buy. Past 35 yards is where the Pure Gold really shines. They both shoot pretty dang strong really. The guarentee that pure gold gives is just the icing on the cake for me... you really can't beat it.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM

i couldnt be happier with my carlsons choke tubes. Ill put it through some more extensive patterning this year and record. I got the ported one for 35 bucks.

Shot a gobbler at 51 yards last spring, by accident. Dad misranged it, and he even had my rangefinder.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the mossberg 835, but I don't have either of those tubes. But the Federal Premium # 5's pattern best for my gun. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

I do also have a Jellyhead, which for the money is a good buy. Past 35 yards is where the Pure Gold really shines.

Thanks swampcollieI shoot an 835 also, I have been wanting to upgrade my choke now I know where to start
Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks a bunch guys. Y'all are really gonna save me a bunch of time patterning.

Swamp, thanks for the good info. I'm kind of leaning toward the Pure Gold and Federal, Winchester Extended range, or Nitro shells. Hopefully I can get good results with out forking out the $$$$$ for Nitro shells.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Thanks a bunch guys. Y'all are really gonna save me a bunch of time patterning.

Swamp, thanks for the good info. I'm kind of leaning toward the Pure Gold and Federal, Winchester Extended range, or Nitro shells. Hopefully I can get good results with out forking out the $$$$$ for Nitro shells.
I shoot the Win Extended Range myself. Every gun I have ever shot them out of has shot them well, and in most cases, better than everything else.... not ALWAYS... there is never an always... but it has shot it well.

I have never shot a Nitro shell... I'm no cheapskate... but I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on that kind of price, espeically with the excellant results I already have... if it ain't broke, you know.... But everyone that I know or have spoken with that has EVER tried Nitro shells is still shooting them. Everyone. That kind of speaks for itself.

As I grow older I'm rather over the whole kill a turkey at 50+ yards thing. The first Rio I ever killed in 2004 was at 56 steps and my set up (first year for it too) pounded him flat. The gun can do it... but every turkey I have ever missed (touch wood... only 3) has been inside of 15 yards. I have gotten addicited to trying to get them close. I took one with the bow last year.... and the way that I hunt is condusive to close shots. I won't shoot one past about 35 yards or so anymore... so having a pattern the size of an Xtra Large pizza, 420 pellets, a 2-7x Nikon scope and what not are starting to feel like over-kill for what I am doing. I am contemplating picking up an IM mod choke or something like that and giving it a try, just to see what it does. I can always tote it with me in the event I end up setting up on a gas line or logging road where my shot will be 25 or less (all three of my misses were in situations like that).

Big bulls; sorry for the rambling reflective post, but if you are thinking of giving Win Elite Ex Range a go... its a pretty good bet!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Big bulls; sorry for the rambling reflective post, but if you are thinking of giving Win Elite Ex Range a go... its a pretty good bet!
No sweat. I get off on rants too.

I have heard real good things about the extended range shells. Theysound to be a good gamble.

I feel ya on the Nitro shells. I will pay forstuff if it is neededand I know ammo is a very small price in the total scheme of things but good gracious. They are proud of those things. But we sell out of them every time we order them. They must be doing something right. Hopefully I will never need to find out.

Quick Reply: Help with a turkey combo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.