Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys - They sure are strange sometimes

Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkeys - They sure are strange sometimes

Lay on the ground in full camo up against a tree....and if they see you blink an eye they're gone.

Set up a full blown tent blind in a wide open field and they'll run right at you and peak in the windows..
[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

What are your thoughts....those "golf club heads" of theirs......they're just so gosh darn sensitive to the slightest movement....but not sensitive to the disturbance to their surroundings....a newly set uptent blind... for me....almost always.... sends a white-tail into panic mode...
Old 02-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Turkeys - They sure are strange sometimes

Their eyeshight is so keen that I was told they can see the movement of a second hand of a watch , kinda make sense in a way if your in full camo up againest a tree and they see you blink an eye , they'er gone.
If your set up inside a tent blind they can't see you move and their brains are smaller than their eyes so they'er not alarmed about the ground blind at all.
Thats why I'll be using my Double Bull T5 this spring with some decoys about 15 yards out.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHAHAH....I love it....I'll be in mine too...this year....with the camera roll'in brother..!!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 PM

I have just set againat tree and it has worked for 37 years now, but I two purchased a blind this year. My running and gunning was slowed a tad or those hills are getting taller.....
[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Born 2 Bow Hunt

I have just set againat tree and it has worked for 37 years now, but I two purchased a blind this year. My running and gunning was slowed a tad or those hills are getting taller.....
[align=left][/align]

I hear ya born 2 bow hunt. Your right those hills are getting taller and tougher. Im in the process of purchasing a few blinds myself...
Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad they cant smell...MW that black-out lining just makes it almost impossible for those birds to see in the blind as long as you stay away from the window and have only one window open.The see thru mesh is great as long as the temps arent above 75..the comfort a blind can give you is hard to pass up especially for us well I hate to say it older hunters.I hunted for years without one,but in more cases now than ever i'm in one!!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like I'm one of the few that absolutely refuses to hunt out of a blind. Nothing against anyone else doing it but I don't see where the fun is in hunting from a blind. That's one of the reasonswhy it's so challenging to hunt turkeys: to try to fool the best pair of eyes in the woods. If I wanted to make it any easier I probably wouldn't hunt them anymore.

I can see if you wanted to take an adolescent with you hunting you may want to use a blind to conceal some of his movement because he probably doesn't know any better, but for a seasoned turkey to use one borders laziness in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

First week we ever turkey hunted we did everything just as everyone said. Then, the one day we went totally against everything we actually got one. My son wanted to go one afternoon and I wasn't in the mood, so I didn't put much effort into it. We rode the four wheeler out to save time and stopped right along the woodline, put out the blind right beside and dropped two decoys about ten yards in front. I wouldn't even consider the effort put into this hunt as being half-a--ed because I don't even think I put an entire butt cheek into it. But, after calling about thirty minutes I saw a head bobbing along the ditch, saw a beard and waited until it walked right up. To make things worse, my son had pulled the bottom of the blind up and had his entire head, up to his shoulders, sticking out from under the bottom of the blind the entire time.

About 29 hunts by the book and nothing.....1 hunt just to "waste time" and we get one. Go figure.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't argue with the success rate of using a blind. They work. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Simp

Looks like I'm one of the few that absolutely refuses to hunt out of a blind. Nothing against anyone else doing it but I don't see where the fun is in hunting from a blind. That's one of the reasonswhy it's so challenging to hunt turkeys: to try to fool the best pair of eyes in the woods. If I wanted to make it any easier I probably wouldn't hunt them anymore.

I can see if you wanted to take an adolescent with you hunting you may want to use a blind to conceal some of his movement because he probably doesn't know any better, but for a seasoned turkey to use one borders laziness in my opinion.
I agree i refuse to gun hunt from a blind. Heck im even going to try bowhunting without a blind some this year. I will only use a blind if i have a small kid or girl with me who cant sit still, or if im bowhunting which requires a great deal of movement.

Quick Reply: Turkeys - They sure are strange sometimes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.