Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys - They sure are strange sometimes

Old 02-07-2008, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Turkeys - They sure are strange sometimes

Yup if they could smell theyd be the only unhuntable species we have...could you imagine..
Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

ORIGINAL: Simp

Looks like I'm one of the few that absolutely refuses to hunt out of a blind. Nothing against anyone else doing it but I don't see where the fun is in hunting from a blind. That's one of the reasonswhy it's so challenging to hunt turkeys: to try to fool the best pair of eyes in the woods. If I wanted to make it any easier I probably wouldn't hunt them anymore.

I can see if you wanted to take an adolescent with you hunting you may want to use a blind to conceal some of his movement because he probably doesn't know any better, but for a seasoned turkey to use one borders laziness in my opinion.
I agree i refuse to gun hunt from a blind. Heck im even going to try bowhunting without a blind some this year. I will only use a blind if i have a small kid or girl with me who cant sit still, or if im bowhunting which requires a great deal of movement.
I use one for several reasons, the main one being lack of experience hunting. But, one of the others is the kid that can't sit still. Mine stuck his head out from underneath, but I'm pretty sure he'd have hung out the window if it'd been unzipped.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree,

When i was like 10 or 11, i set up a little stake blind and 3 decoys way back in my uncles woods. It was before i started hunting turkeys, but it was during the season. I yelped a couple times on my box call and about 10 minutes later i had 4 gobblers at 25 feet away circling my decoys. I was hooked from that moment on. So the next year when i finally got to hunt, i went out with my uncle on opening day of youth season and shot a double bearded jake. Now i was really hooked. Since then i have turned up a goose egg. Ive only had 1 shot during my last 5 seasons, and it was with my bow last year and I missed. I thought it was going to be the easiestanimal to huntand it turns out that thier the hardest.