Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

TURKEY DECOYS

Old 02-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Spike

Default TURKEY DECOYS

Well I tried the search again to no avail I need to know what the most popular decoys are and why
I have some carrylite and am going to get some more possibly sceery I am hunting a young flock of birds
they are just starting to expand in numbers and area are new flocks historicaly kinda dumb or
are they born smart not being nable to chase them around I pretty much have to pick a spot and
wait for them to move through I am thinking the more decoys I can put out the better offI might be any
information would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TURKEY DECOYS

Just about any type of decoy will work , get enough to create a love triangle and place them within twenty yards of either side of where your at.
I use the bobble Head breeding pair and feeding hen from BuckWing products , they look real enough to fool any love sick tom and their heads move with the slightset wind.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old Carry-lite that has been with me from the start. Just a foam job really. Has its share of pellet holes it in from close encounters... adds character.

I picked up a b-mobile last year, after shooting two birds over a friends Pretty-Boy the previous spring. Had lots of difficult weather last year, and didn't do any out of state traveling like I had the three previous years, and was trying to put other people on birds all spring. Didn't get to see any reaction... as I was bow hunting the morning I shot mine and with all the stuff I had to carry I only brought two hens.

The other deluxe I have is the Widow Maker from Hard Core. I'm a fan of their waterfowl decoys and the widow (or the whore as I call her, because she's a whore to carry around) maker is no different. Decoys looks amazing, and a slight wind will keep it moving well. Only complaint is that it is in a semi-alert pose, and I wouldn't put it out all by itself as its a bit too "uh-oh" looking for my tastes.

I have yet to try those buckwings, but I will say that a little bit of movement on a still day is absolutely deadly. I have some tricks up my sleeve on that... but I can't give everything away.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:40 PM

I have not found the gobblers to be picky, they will come into most any decoy. I am not big on all this new stuff with real feathers; whereas, I believe it is something else to spend $$ on. The ole conventional 2 hens and a jake works very good time and time again.....
[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

yeah i would agree that some of these hyper realistic turkey decoys are a little overkill when the cheap foam ones from walmart draw them in just fine.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 AM

I tend to agree with some of the previous postings, I bow hunt only in 2/3 states if I can WI MN & MI.
I have tried every gaget known to turkey huntin' I bought a Hazel Creek hen decoy last year,talk about hard to carry even w/the over the sholder bag they give you. I thought it would bring them TOMS in on a stringlike on TV...
I think I got the lesbian version, moreMAD hens than anything! I need a sling shot to stop them from kickn' the crap out of that 400 dollar toy.

ps Anna Nichole will be riding on top of a new gear cart if all goes well w/production...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

I went with a B-mobile last year and me, my dad and two of my brothers all killed a turkey using it. I used a real fan and hooked some duck decoy string to it and would move it back and forth like it was strutting. The birds we killed ran to the decoy. I think they would rather fight than.......well you know.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a delta jake and hen. The jake's on his 2nd or third beard (I replace with cat whiskers I bought for my bow string ) and jenny's taken quite a few pellets in the line of duty but she's a tough lil bird. They fold up to fit in my vest but I usually cover their heads with orange and strap them to my stool when I'm moving. I'm thinking I may add a bobble head hen this year, and I have a jake fan I might just try staking in the ground to see what kind of reaction I might get.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 AM

i have this, strutting decoy. i cant wait to use it.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 AM

i'm also thinking about getting the wobble head hen. these decoys look great, there heads look so real. check'em out http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0054466&navCount=9&parentId=cat 200008&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cm Cat=MainCatcat21424-cat20015-cat200008&parentType=index&indexId=cat2000 08&rid=

Quick Reply: TURKEY DECOYS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.