Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Primos Mini Sonic Dome Double Reed Turkey Call

Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Primos Mini Sonic Dome Double Reed Turkey Call

Why the mini?? that MIGHT be the issue, if its to small you often times can't get the seal. I have to use the mini due to a high/narrow pallet, but with the sonic domes I have some trouble because of the dome, just doesn't fit the roof of my mouth very well.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to try another all. I bought the Sonic Dome last year, and even after using mouth calls for 5 years, I still can't get that crazy thing to sound right. I wasn't impressed with the call and I think it is a lot harder tuse than the ones that do not have the dome on them.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

well the mini ones shouldn't need to be trimmed at all, first make sure it is facing the right way (haha no offense I've seen people put them in backwards and wonder why they wont work). Then push it firmly in the roof of your mouth and push your tonge up on the latex, and blow out a hard huff of air, that should at least get you making a noise (probably a loud obnoxious noise but its a start haha). Then start playing with your tonge pressure to get the yelp sound. Put your tonge on the latex again and say "TICK, TICK" and that will make a cluck sound. Then just practice, I for one am not that great on one but being able to chirp out a few clucks when you need him to come those last few yards is a nice weapon to have.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM

I have about 10 primos call and the mini sonic is the easiest to use for me....I still have a hard time with mouth calls too.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

You aren't experiencing anything new. I couldn't use the first one I bought on clearance at Walmart at all, it was an HS Strut call that was $2. After trying it over and over I handed to my 7yo son to play with, who promptly got it to work without much effort. Needless to say, I asked for it back and tossed it out the truck window. Anytime I see one cheap I buy it now, if for nothing else to play around with. Take it with you to work and leave it in your mouth while you're driving around.When I hunt I prefer a slate call because I can use it better, but I always have a diaphram call in my mouth. Just don't give up, practice makes perfect.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 PM

so what would be a good easy mouth call?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The HS Strut calls are pretty easy to use. Also the Primos diamond series are good. Stay away from triple reed calls until you master the double. Quaker Boy makes some easy ones to use. Just go to Wal Mart and get a couple of three or four dollar calls. Practice with them. There is no need spending a lot of money on mouth calls. I can call a turkey with a four dollar mouth call just as easy as I could with a eight or nine dollar call. You can get a three or four pack of mouth calls for under 10 bucks and they will work fine in the woods. They will also give you several variations to practice with. You ask a lot of questions and that is good. It looks like you are really serious about learning to turkey hunt. Good luck and practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:27 PM

sorry about all the questions i do ask a lot lol
Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

The Primos dome series is one of the two calls that will work with my dentures.The Sonic Dome and Quakerboy Foam trimed is the only two I have made work since my teeth were pulled.I just found them both this year.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

sorry about all the questions i do ask a lot lol
No need to apologize. That is how you learn. Ask away, I'm sure most of us don't mind at all.

Quick Reply: Primos Mini Sonic Dome Double Reed Turkey Call

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.