Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What Qualifies as a Trophy Tom?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Qualifies as a Trophy Tom?

ORIGINAL: PYbuckhunter

Taking anylong-beard is an accomplishment!

But a real trophy to me is long spurs........Limb Hangers!
That about says it! Seriously, any legal bird is an accomplishment but long spurs and a long paintbrush beard makes the bird. Weight and multiple beards make it all the better.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:59 AM

This is the ultimate trophy for me. The photo that should be here (I hope it worked) is my sons 07 Rio. Not his first, but it makes my day every time he pulls the trigger.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Different strokes for different folks,I've harvested birds that scored better than 70 points on alot more than one occasion but the birds I remember the most are my personal trophy's and alot of em were just not that monsterous,as some have eluded too.Been along time since i called in my first tom and dropped him And I can recollect that moment to the day.Yes it was a jake and I've never had a moment that much happier in the woods even afterharvesting some fine longbeards sincethat awesome spring mornin...Apr,9th,1980....
Old 02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

A turkey is a trophy, any turkey.Now, I usually don't shoot jakes, but I have and I'm sure I will again. Too dang good eating to pass up every single time. I think most hunters trophy goal is probably at least 20 pounds with 10 or more inch beard, a nice full fan, and at least 1 inch spurs, but I seriously doubt any normal turkey hunter is going to pass on a 17 or 18 pound2 year old with an 8 or 9 inch beard and half to 3/4 inch spurs.Like I said, any turkey is a trophy, but I would say in most hunters eyes a true trophy would be a 2 year old plus bird.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

I have set a Personal Goal of 25 Lbs, with a 12" Beard, Spurs Don't impress me. However, a Bird that big will have probably have 1 1/4" Spurs. I would Mount this bird!

I agree with everything that has been said. I have seen the time when a Bearded Hen better watch out

TF
Old 02-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

I have set a Personal Goal of 25 Lbs, with a 12" Beard, Spurs Don't impress me. However, a Bird that big will have probably have 1 1/4" Spurs. I would Mount this bird!

TF
That's all fine,but how are you going to tell if that bird is 25 pounds or more? They all look big, especially when they are in strut. A 20 pounder probably looks as big as a 25 pounder when in strut. I for one am not waiting to guess how much he weighs. If he is a longbeard he is in trouble. I don't care if heweighs 16 or 30 pounds.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I aggree any bird can be a trophy.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I'd determine it in the field is how long the beard is and how does his gobble sound.

I really like, long, hook-like spurs, kind of my "dream turkey".
Old 02-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 1/4" spurs = 4-5 year old Gobbler= TROPHY!!!! Add public land to that and you have a real trophy
Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

imo, any bird that you yourself can set up. call in. and kill is a trophy bird........as you get more experience, some would consider a trophy bird one that would have say 10 inch beard and 1/ 1/4 spurs..

Quick Reply: What Qualifies as a Trophy Tom?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.