Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pump or semi auto

Old 01-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pump or semi auto

Pump.I've shot a Rem 870 since 1975.I replaced my old Wingmaster with a black 870 Express Magnum. I use it for turkey and ducks by changing chokes.Noyhing wrongwith autos I may try a 11-87 sometime.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

For turkey hunting, I prefer pump because the gun cost less to buy and is easier to clean and take care of. Wingbone also makes a good point that the chamber has an empty when getting up to chase a bird.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up shooting semi's and shot them up until my late 20's, and still have a few,but they now sit in my gun cabinet. I've been shooting pumps ever since.I use a pump to turkey, duck , and dove hunt.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Pump is all I've shot so that'sall I knowI like em
Old 01-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

pump for me and my dad,a couple of years ago i had the pump and he had a semi auto and his gun snapped and almost let a bird get away because he had to move his hand up and pull the bolt back but lukly it started running and putting instead of flying,some of his hens had already flew,so he ended up getting a shot,Now we either use a pump or a single barrel.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Even though my choice is a semi-auto, I still keep a pump in the truick for back-up, just in case the auto goes down. Auto's do require more maintenance to keep them working at their optimum. My SP-10 gets a quick five minute clean and wipe down after each hunt. My SP-10 has far less recoil than my 870 SuperMagnum.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

I prefer a pump
Old 01-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use a semi but my dad uses a pump, i think you use whatever fits you best, im more comfortable with the 1100 i shoot or else id shoot my dads Benelli Nova, i only put one round in the gun so if i need to chase after the bird im unloaded, if i need a second shot i just drop another round in
Old 01-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

I'd have to say pump. I like the relative simplicity, reliability and ease of takedown for cleaning. We hunt in some real crap weather. Also if I need to jump up and run after a bird after a shot, I preferan empty chamber.

How about that MT
Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

The only real benefit of a semi is that it might bleed off some of that recoil, but you are going to have to pay a lot more for it then a pump (all things being equal). As for a fast second shot, a moot point because no one here ever misses, i think you can work a pump just as fast as that semi can reload, or at least the difference is not noticable. Not to mention the pump is probably the most rugged action you can have for times when the weather gets rough, or the gun gets dirty or whatever. Pump tends to be a little lighter which can make a difference if you like to run and gun like i do.

Quick Reply: Pump or semi auto

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.