Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

calls for turkey?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 AM

Default calls for turkey?

what are some good calls for turkey? im a new turkey hunter and was wondering what type of calls i should get and how many different types do i need
Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 AM

Default RE: calls for turkey?

You only need one, the one that any given gobbler will respond to at any giebm hour and any given day .

Since your new, usually some typr of friction call is best, box call, slate, or even some simple push/pull call. In addition I would suggest getting some type of media to help you to duplicate the proper calls
Old 01-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would get a box call, a slate call, and a mouth call. Some days, turkey will respond hot and heavy to one call and the next day they wont make a sound with the same call. Mouth calls can be difficult to use, but are the most versitle, letting you be able to keep both hands on your gun and no movement is required...this is especially nice when the gobbler is in your sights...
Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 PM

I recomend if you get a mouth call get the Primos sonic dome mini. The easiest of all mouth calls that I have ever used.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: barry1me

I recomend if you get a mouth call get the Primos sonic dome mini. The easiest of all mouth calls that I have ever used.
I, too, prefer the Primos mouth calls...just not the sonic dome. What works for one, doesn't always work for the other
Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 PM

in what situations should i use the box call over the slate or the slate over the box?
what are some calling techniques?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM

should i get alocator call for scouting?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I typically tend to lean toward the slate more than a box call...until I see the bird and then I switch to a mouth call that I keep in my mouth the whole time. I just prefer a slate call more-so than a box and I have had better luck at getting birds to talk back to me. It may be just the birds in my area, but you will have to try and see what works best for you.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

you dont need a lot
just a box and/or a peg and slate
these are the easiest to use and if you use them right sound the most realistic
Old 01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you take only one call to the woods your missing out on birds. Some birds respond to one call and not another. I've walked through blocks of woods with one call only to switch it up and get responses behind me that didn't talk to the previous call.

Pick yourself up a box call, slate/glass call, push/pull button box and learn the mouth call. One might work when the other doesn't.

Quick Reply: calls for turkey?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.