Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how do i scout for spring turkey season?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:28 AM

Default how do i scout for spring turkey season?

i live in ohio and i was wondering how and what i look for while scouting to see where to hunt?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do i scout for spring turkey season?

All i do is go out a couple weeks before the season and sit and listen for gobblesin the morning. I'm sure other people do more that this but it works for me.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

I bacically do drive bys of the property I hunt, and I also go out and listen in the mornings. If I happen to go in the woods, I look for scratchings, dusting spots, tracks and droppings. One thing to remember DO NOT use your turkeys calls before season. No need to educate the birds...
Old 12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

what about a locator call? like a owl?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Also if I see turkey like now what are the chances of me seeing them around the same area in the spring?
Old 12-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

To anwser your question, kinda. You need to become familiar with the land you hunt. Find roosting places, feeding areas and dusting spots really helps pin-point turkey areas come spring! Practice up on your calling too! If you are hunting public land, find the parking spots, mature timber stands, and get some miles in on your hiking shoes!!!

Good luck!!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

I bacically do drive bys of the property I hunt, and I also go out and listen in the mornings. If I happen to go in the woods, I look for scratchings, dusting spots, tracks and droppings. One thing to remember DO NOT use your turkeys calls before season. No need to educate the birds...
i dont mean to be ignorant but what are scratching, dusting spots. what does turkey dropping look like?
how can you see turkey tracks?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta go with ICALL2MUCH on this one.My most importantgoalfor scouting is to become as familiar with the property as the turkeys are. You can do that now. As the season nears, I'd go listen a few mornings. Gobbling and your knowledge of the land will tell you where their roosts are. Leave the locater calls at home. A good way totrain them to ignor your locater calls is to use them frequently. The local owls and crows will do a good job for you. And they'll gobble on their own well enough. If you can observe them from a distance, try looking for them during the day. Getting to know their routine will help you on the days that they're silent.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait till the freeze is over and listen to where they are at sometime around march.... The birds will not be in the same areas as they are now. the gobblers and hens will begin to seperate... yadda yaddaya... etc...

wait till closer to spring to scout.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once the birds start gobbling in the roost, dress yourself up in your camo and march yourself out in the woods (without any calls) and listen and watch. Here where they are roosting, see where they are flying down to, see where they go after flydown. Do this a couple times before the season and you will have a good idea where to setupat in the morning and where to move to if unsuccessful at flydown.

Act as if your hunting....but without any calls or weapon.

Quick Reply: how do i scout for spring turkey season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.