Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how do i scout for spring turkey season?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do i scout for spring turkey season?

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

are box calls as good?
In myopinion some box calls are ok. I think the push button box calls aren't worth a crap. Now box calls that have the paddlelike the quaker boy hurricane are awsome. You can call very loud on windy days. And you can also call soft if you need to.Here is a link if you don't know what i'm talking about.http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=517815I think slate calls are better but you will have to trythem and decide for yourself.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 AM

wat is a good slate call?
is it a goos idea to get quaker boy gurricane and a slate call?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

wat is a good slate call?
There is 2 types of slate calls,Regular slate, which is like a chalkboard, and glass. The regular slate is easier to use. Any of the top brands would be good.
is it a goos idea to get quaker boy gurricane and a slate call?
It's a good idea to get a lot of calls.One turkeys may come into one call that another turkey might not come to.
Another good thing you might want to do is go to either the Cabelasor Bass Pro website and request aspring turkey catalog. They have all kinds ofcalls, decoys, and everything else you need for turkey hunting.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 PM

is a locator call good to use for scouting and hunting?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

is a locator call good to use for scouting and hunting?
I personally wouldn't use it for scouting, but yes, they can be useful for hunting. Where I hunt (Texas), crow calls and owl hooters don't seem to work very well...I don't get many responses to them. I went hunting with a old friend of mine who lives in Washington state and he is probably the best turkey hunter that I personally know. He goes through crow calls (wearing them out from so much use) like there is no tomorrow. If you are confident that there are birds in your area, but aren't getting any responses from your calling, then try different calls. Some days all the gobblers will respond to one call and on another day they wont respond to that call, but a completely different one.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:49 PM

why wouldnt u use it for scouting>?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

As for calls, our very own Willie (ICALL2MUCH) makes an AWESOME call. I have one, sounds amazing, and very attractive. I've given one as a gift too, and the recipient is very impressed as well. Definitely worth a look. www.magicmorning.net
Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do use locators for scouting. I usually get out early and listen for birds gobbling on their own, but if they aren't very vocal, I hit them with a crow call to see if I can get one to shock gobble. I don't repeatedly hit the call though, I call few and far between. If one answers, I don't respond in any way, I just back out and note where he gobbled from. Looking for scratchings, tracks, feathers and poop are the other things I do when scouting, but you can't beat hearing that gobble! I Never call like a hen when scouting,as others have said, you don't want to educate those birds or get them where they come in to you when you aren't actually hunting!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use them (loactor calls) for scouting because, as I mentioned before, the birds around where I hunt wont respond worth a flip to the locator calls, therefore I won't do any calling when I go out scouting. I'll go out scouting about a week or two before the season starts up and I will bring a good pair of binoculars and observe. If you want to get a really good idea of where the birds are, go out in the morning and you will hear all sorts of gobbling going on and also get a good idea of where the birds are roosting...no need for calling of any sorts. That's just my opinion...
Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

When I think about turkey hunting in Texas... Public land doesent come to mind
Unfortunatly for me its public land in Tx or nothing. Unless I can manage to get a bunch of overtime before the season starts and find a place to pay that I can afford. I killed one on public land with a BP 12 ga. last year and I'll by God be trying again this year.

Quick Reply: how do i scout for spring turkey season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.