Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how do i scout for spring turkey season?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do i scout for spring turkey season?

mossbergman11, A good site you might want to check out is the NWTF website.http://www.nwtf.org/
Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

I bacically do drive bys of the property I hunt, and I also go out and listen in the mornings. If I happen to go in the woods, I look for scratchings, dusting spots, tracks and droppings. One thing to remember DO NOT use your turkeys calls before season. No need to educate the birds...
i dont mean to be ignorant but what are scratching, dusting spots. what does turkey dropping look like?
how can you see turkey tracks?

Ok scratchings are when they are hunting for food. They will scratch the leaves to uncover food. Dusting spots are where the turkeys will find a spot where there is bare dirt, sand etc. They will roll in it flap their wings in it to get the bugs off. They are basically cleaning themselves. A hens poop looks like a blob, and a gobblers poop sometimes is in the shape of a J. Look for turkey tracks around streams, fields where the ground is soft and wet. Remember the hens track is much smaller thatn a gobblers.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I hear all you guys talking about not calling to the birds before the season because it educates them... What about the public land hunter who has no control over the other but nuggets running around in the woods months before the season opensWhat help can you give this guy

Thats a good point Mr. Longbeard. I would have to say to get to know the area as best as you can. Learn their routes and where they are headed and still look for scratchings, droppings etc.

How do you scout Mr. Longbeard. I mean I hunt some public land and Im fortunate that I seem to be the only one who hunts there. Ive never ran into another hunter yet. So Ive been very very lucky. Im sure that day will come to an end when I have others breathing down my neck on public land...
Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM

ok thanks for the info
wat about calls?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok thanks for the info
wat about calls?
Box calls are good for beginners. Slate calls are good too. Is that what your asking?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually go to a few spots that have panned out for me in the past and start there lisening for birds to gobble on the roost... Then as the season progress I usually find other spots to hunt... If everthing goes well I usually kill one in one of my honey holesThe only prob is a lot of times my honey hole is somebody else honey hole also

I know I complain about public land alot, but I've learned that killing pressured Gobblers is a very rewarding hunt, and I really don't think I would feel the same way about turkey hunting if every bird I killed was a give me... So I'm trying to look at it as good thing and not a bad
Old 01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok thanks for the info
wat about calls?
I think that the three most used calls are the box call, the slate call, and the diaphram call (I usually call it a mouth call cause I can't spell). The most versitile call is the mouth call. You can make every call possible with a mouth call and it involves no movement and both of your hands can be free. If you get a nice gobbler in front of you feel like you need to give one last call to get him a little closer, you may move too much when using a box call or a slate call...that's where the mouth call is handy. The mouth call, however is much harder to learn to use. Start practicing your calling now to prepare for the Spring season. I prefer the Primos mouth calls because the fit in my mouth better and I can get a better sound out of them. But what works for me may not work for you...you may find another mouth call that you like better. Just start playing around and practice calling now to see what works for you that way you have a few of the kinks worked out before you are out in the woods when it counts.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 PM

wat i mean is like good calls like brand wise and clearest and best for attracting turkeys
Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the top brands are good. Primos, Knight and Hale, Quaker Boy, ect make good calls. The clearest calls i think are slate calls. I have had really good luck with them.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 PM

are box calls as good?

Quick Reply: how do i scout for spring turkey season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.