Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how do i scout for spring turkey season?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do i scout for spring turkey season?

Being familiar with the lay of the land is always a good thing. I normally go out about two weeks before the season starts and listen and make sure to bring some good binoculars. Do not call while you are scouting! The idea is to see where they are going and you don't want to take a chance of spooking them.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear all you guys talking about not calling to the birds before the season because it educates them... What about the public land hunter who has no control over the other but nuggets running around in the woods months before the season opensWhat help can you give this guy

Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

In IL and WI it's illegal to use a turkey call a few weeks before the season,not sure if it helps but it can't hurt. I wouldn't use any calls, just observation. Maybe sit in a ground blind overlooking a field and woods and see where they come out. Wouldn't bother until a couple weeks before the season opens though.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I hear all you guys talking about not calling to the birds before the season because it educates them... What about the public land hunter who has no control over the other but nuggets running around in the woods months before the season opensWhat help can you give this guy
That's the "joy" of public land hunting! I am blessed to have four different pieces of private property that I can hunt on, so I have more control. Public land hunting is much harder to do.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I think about turkey hunting in Texas... Public land doesent come to mind
Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

When I think about turkey hunting in Texas... Public land doesent come to mind
This is true. Not much public land to hunt on around here. There is public land to hunt on though...just not much.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:45 PM

i hunt on private land
so when i go out to scout just sit somewhere for a while and wait??
should i put out corn?
what are some good calls? i
Old 01-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice I can give ya is to just get out in your woods about 1 hour before the sun comes up and just lisen and see if you have an gobblers roosting on your propertyDoes your property have any field or is it just open hard woods???
Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 PM

i have a few fields but mostly open woods and some thick woods
last year before school i would sometimes call them and they would respond they wwere in the woods
Old 01-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would start right now and buy your self a couple books on spring turkey hunting and maybe pick up some DVD's on turkey hunting and start watching them...

I think you'll learn more from the book... Turkey hunting videos are really comercialized now and all the hunting is done on big turkey ranchs... For me there more for just entertainment

Quick Reply: how do i scout for spring turkey season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.