Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

defeathering?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default defeathering?

Is there any other ways to defeather a turkey besides using hot water and hand plucking?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:19 AM

Default RE: defeathering?

I just hand pluck mine whyle they are still warm. If you do it right after they are shot and still warm its very easy to pluck them.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I don't pluck them I just skin them it's a whole lot easier.,Just a Idea.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I skin as well. I don't even gut the bird anymore, I just make and incision and put my fingers under the skin and pull it away from the breast, then I breast it out... Feathering is way too much work for not alot of meat if any at all.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 AM

You could always get a poltury or chicken plucker....i wouldnt though. They are expensive and the number of turkeys you are going to be plucking wouldnt justify buying one.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boiling water works great. I have done it a couple of times, and the feathers literally fall right out.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

I skin as well. I don't even gut the bird anymore, I just make and incision and put my fingers under the skin and pull it away from the breast, then I breast it out... Feathering is way too much work for not alot of meat if any at all.
I agree, I've never plucked one in my life. Skinning is a lot easier and a lot less messy.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I do the same as King. I just breast them out without gutting. Try this the next time you get one. Breast them and then cut the meat into strips about 2" wide by 6-8 inches long. It helps if the meat is about 1" thick or less. Roll up a hot pepper section in the meat, and then roll the other way a piece of thick smoked bacon over the turkey and put a toothpick in it to hold together and cook on the grill. Goes great with beer.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Feathered one......once.For a deep fry.

Now I breast out and cut it into bites or trips...roll in seasoned flour and fry up.

Try these too. Works with veni, duck breast, turkey...whatever.

* 1/2 to 1 cup each of dark beer, Sweet Baby Ray's (or other BBQ), and soy sauce...in equal thirds.

Pour over meat strips or chunks cut no bigger than 3" x 2", and marinate all day or overnight.

Wrap a full piece of uncooked bacon around each piece and hold with skewers or toothpicks.

Grill until bacon is crispy.....Good with beer, too. What are the odds?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

I think I have done 2 in my lifetime. Boiling water outside. They clean up pretty easy. Any more though I agree with the rest.... skin them out if you want the whole bird. Or just slice the breast skin, skin them downandcut out the meat you want. Never had a wild bird, that the dark meat was tender, unless you stew it.