Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Whats your turkey gun?

Old 12-31-2002, 11:10 AM

Default RE: Whats your turkey gun?

Every Turkey, spring or fall, has been with a Winchester 1300, 22" barrell....I did have to buy a Hastings choke tube for it, because I didn't like the extra full that came with the gun....I tried several different loads and several different brands, but until I put a new choke in it, I was not satisfied......I would like to offer this advice, Don't get caught up in the 3.5" hangup....sure they get you a few more yards, but for me the hunt is less than 35 yards....if he don't come within 35, he wins....I'll try him again next week.

In our line of work, we must be able to play Dixie and the Battle Hym of the Republic, With Equal Enthusiasm.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's no "right answer"...
I tried several guns before settling on one that worked best for me (for the $$) Win 1300. As other 1300 shooters mentioned in a post last year(?), many were dissatisfied with the Win factory x-full choke (although I did kill my first gobbler with mine). There are many excellent aftermarket chokes out there, and picking one is a whole nother thread. I got a comp-n-choke XX Full, and it patterns great.
Simply, the best turkey gun is the one you can use the most effectively to harvest turkeys because ultimately you're pulling the trigger.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2002, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 870 wingmaster most of the time . I bought the Benelli Nova to hunt turkeys and waterfowl but it doesn't feel quite right to me . Did you ever get a gun that shoots okay but your not comfortable with, thats the way the Benelli feels to me .
Old 12-31-2002, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be taking my Browning BPS 12 with me in April to turkey hunt for the first time. I grew up shooting my dad's 870, but after going over all the pump action shotguns, I found the BPS to be the best for me. It's a very smooth shooting, quality shotgun.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 01-01-2003, 12:52 AM
Typical Buck

..I just went back to the mossberg 835,with a comp-n-choke
tube,did have a 870 super mag...just wanted something
different.......

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...