Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Roosted Gobbler

Old 12-23-2002, 11:47 AM

Default RE: Roosted Gobbler

I appreciate all the responses....I'm not new to spring gobbler hunting....but I still learn a thing or two every year.....a couple of years ago I set up on a gobbler on opening morning....got him cranked up on the roost only to have him fly down and start the opposite way.....last year on opening morning...circled around him on the opposite ridge and cranked him up on the roost and introduced him to my 1300 about 5 minutes after daylight....I guess in most situations that the set up is the key....I don't care if Walter Parrot and Rob Keck are callin....if they're not where the bird wants to be, then you can write him off.....I just heard Harold Knight make that comment and I do the opposite.....somebody mentioned having a gobbler sit in the tree until 9am.....I've never seen that(it'll happen this year..LOL)....I just always figured that if I'm set up right, and I'm the first interested hen he hears, then my chances are better than waiting for all the other hens to crank him up....but keep the reponses coming.

In our line of work, we must be able to play Dixie and the Battle Hym of the Republic, With Equal Enthusiasm.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Roosted Gobbler

A few posts assumed all calling was cranked up loud and in no way are mine while that boy is in the tree. Until I'm sure he's on the ground, it is only soft tree yelps and one fly down cackle with wing beats. Now after that I slowly start cranking up the volume. If he responds I hit him with another series of loud box call yelps, again and again. The majority of these Nebraska Merriams have responded well to it. I've only had one come in silent. The rest have been gobbling all the way in.