Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

No Rios in Kansas!?!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default No Rios in Kansas!?!

I just got off the phone with a biologist from Kansas Dept. of Wildlife (leaving for hunt on monday) and he said there were no pure rios in kansas. He said he laughs at people when they say theyre coming over to kansas for a rio bird. Apparently the kansas wildlife dept has done genetic testing and determined that almost all the birds people think are rio are hybrids. He said that the make-up of kansas birds is part rio-eastern hybrids, part domestic-eastern hybrids, and pure easterns. He said occasionally they might find a pure rio in commanches county but it is very rare.
Anyways this was news to me.If this is trueI wonder why their website and the nwtf still show rios over there. I told him as long as they gobble and strut i dont care.
Anyone else heard this or was thisbiologist exaggerating?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Rios in Kansas!?!

I've never heard that there were "NO" rios, but it is common knowledge that the hybrids are the most common, along with the eastern.