Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Roosting Birds

Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Roosting Birds

Well it's come down to the last week of the season here in VA and due to multiple personal obligations (soccer and swim lessons ) I haven't been afield yet. I do plan on getting off work early this Friday though and hunting on Saturday. I haven't had the time to pattern any birds but I know several spots in my hunting area that are holding birds. Just wondering what a good strategy would be to try and roost some birds Friday afternoon/evening. What timeframe do they typically start flying to the roost? Should I hunt that evening or should I stay on the DL and just observe from a distance to better my chances on Saturday morning?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Roosting Birds

Since you don't know just where they are roosting, I would say to set back and observe from a distance. It would be hard to try and hunt them on the way to the roost, when you don't know where they are roosting. On the other hand, if you know the general vacinity where they are roosting and which direction they are coming from then you could set-up to intercept them headed to the roost area.Not sure just what your terrain is like and what they are doing during the day. during the day are they hitting the open fields, high country, staying in bottoms, or timber? Figure where they are feeding, timber, grass or crop fields, and intercept them headed back to the timber.Lot to know, to know what to tell you, but there are a few ideas. Knock'em dead.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips Dave.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

No problem. Hope it works for you. Any other info you can give us after scouting will help to give you better tips.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Spike

i too hunt in vaand ive been hearing birds from 6 until dark .
Old 05-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recommend going out in the morning and listening. I wouldn't go outthe evening before, because I wouldn't risk spooking some birds. If you get out early and listen, it is still dark enough to move and make a good set up. JMO Good Luck.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

What part of VA are you hunting?

I got a bird this morning in Brunswick County. I hunted there yesterday as well with the girlfriend. Heard birds early, but not late.

When I roost birds, I usually just sit somewhere I can hear well and listen. Honestly, the best call I know of in VA for getting a bird to gobble once he has flown up to a tree for the night is a goose call. That, or the ubiquitous car horn.

Strategy wise, this has been a very odd year. Birds only seem to be shock gobbling for the most part or gobbling at each other. Likely due to the weather fluctuations, and a STRONG number of hens. I have had hens twice almost run me over from behind this year trying to get to the gobbler I have been calling to. Its Waffle House time when that happens....
Old 05-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Here in Vt they go to the roost a little bit after the sun sets while it is still light. Once they settle in they often gobble a few times to let all the ladies in the area where they are. So if I am in a known roosting area and don't see birds I just sit and wait until dark to locate them when they let off the good night gobble. When it is dead dark and I am trying to locate birds I use an owl hooter with decent success. It doesn't always work but if I know there are some toms in the area I willsometimes try the owl call in morning while it is still dark. Caution though they often won't shut up when you do that in the morning and will gobble all sorts of hunters into the woods.I set up about 100 to 200 yards away from a roosted bird trying to put my set up in the general direction they usually travel.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

What part of VA are you hunting?
I will be hunting in Gretna in Pittsylvania county this weekend. Looks like listening and glassing from a distance Friday evening is the plan.