Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A Double for Team River Valley

Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Double for Team River Valley

Nate called me yesterday and said he's picking me up in the morning. The birds in one of his honey holes were responding great and we'd hit them in the morning. He had an almost that morning.

Nate and Renee, his wife picked me up promptly after 4:30 and we headed to the spot. We walked the hill timely and were set up where I filmed Nate killing his longbeard last year. You can view it as the first hunt on volume III of the River Valley Game Calls' Headhunters series. It wasn't long when the birds he knew were there pounded and we were well within 100 yarda of them. They responded well and I saw the first one fly down. Once on the ground he was also responding. I didn't see the second bird come down nor did I see the 3 hens that Nate saw fly down. We had them coming but not directly in. Nate and Renee both had their barrels up and I thought it was a done deal.

We worked them for 20 minutes and they pounded on almost every call. The one we could see wasn't but 75 yards away and the other gobbled below him. Suddenly we could hear jakes coming in from our right and closing fast. This might present a problem. When the big tom saw the jakes, probably the same time I did he walked away from us headed toward his buddy and hens. The jakes continued to carry on until they were within 30 yards, 4 total.

I heard Renee communicating with Nate, I heard her scoot around the tree as well as Nate and knew it was on. Nate normally wouldn't shoot a jake as he said but he and Renee never doubled up on spring birds before and I couldn't think of any reason not too. At the sound of the all but simultaneous blast, 2 birds layed flopping.

What a fantastic morning full of gobblin action and friendships. Seeing Renee kill her 4th ever bird and doubling up with her husband made my season.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A Double for Team River Valley

Thats really cool Rob ...
A husband and wife team doubling up on some nice birds and you were there to film it all.
My congrats to the both of them.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is really cool Rob. I glad you got to share the experience with them. Congrats on an exciting morning.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome rob!! congrats to you guys!! those look like some plump jake birds!!

a double sure would be awesome!!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any time you can double up is special. To have a husband a wife team do it is an extra special memory.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:07 AM

AWESOME. Great detailed version of the hunt. COngrats to all.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome stroy and pic!! Thanks Rob for posting!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice...congrats and thanks for posting!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the double! Awesome!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys, it's been slow for me tho the last two days. Hunting alone and not hearing a bird. I'll be on one soon enough, keeping the faith and I still get up every morning. I love May! BUT, I can't wait to sleep later come season end..lol

Quick Reply: A Double for Team River Valley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.