" />

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I'm finished

Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm finished

Never said they are unkillable... Even a blind hog finds a acorn once in awhile

How many acres do you have and how many people hunt it???

What kind of turkey population does it have???
Old 05-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go and keep scouting for next year. I grew up hunting Pa. Longbeards. I was first introduced to turkey hunting by D.D. Adams, but it was mostly fall hunting back then. I know all about hunting pressured birds and they are all trophies.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why thank you for the kind wordsultimag... Finally someone who can relate
Old 05-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, I'll say congrats to Mr Longbeard on his season. Secondly, a WILD turkey is a WILD turkey no matter what kind of land he is on. Some public places are harder to hunt than some private places and some private places are harder to hunt than some public places. Earlier this year I killed a turkey the same day as my buddy, we both shot them less than 30 minutes into shooting hours and had they toms fly down, we start calling and the birds walked in. He was on a heavily hunted public area, and I was on private ground that had only ever been hunted one other time for turkeys. That doesn't make him a better hunter than me, to end the story I'll say, I've been hunting turkeys for several years now, this was his first turkey hunt of his life! My point is, turkey hunting is fun and usually very challenging, no matter where you hunt.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Amen jepcho,!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough of this crap going back and forth. Thank god we can get out in the woods and enjoy the sport! As long as you do it folloing the state hunting rules and following good safety principles who cares where you hunt? And a gobbler is a gobbler. Plain and simple. Some are easy and some are impossible.............they all have a time to die, its just a matter of whether you happen to be lucky enough or fortunate enough to be there when its thier time.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regarding public ws. private land. I hunt private land,about 80 acres. I have limitations on where I can go,I do not trespass. I can see both sides of the story. By this late in the season the birds are pressured everywhere. If Mr.Longbeard (if that is your real name) shot two birds on public land by walking 5 miles to get them BRAVO! Congradulations on a good hunt and two good birds! Everybody else have a good season,learn from one another,take a kid hunting and stop the bickering and name calling. Ive only been hunting turkeys 2 years and have yet to get a mature Tom, they're all hard to get. Hopefully my luck will change next week.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Mr Longbeard, congrats on your season... I have been turkeyhunting onprivate land for 25 yearsand I can promise you, there are some very tough gobblers on private land too.... Any turkey hunter that has good woodsmanship, knows the lay of the land in his hunting area, knows how and where to set up, and puts in the timewill kill turkeys no matter where he's hunting, private or public ground. My best friend and I always laugh and joke with one another after a successful hunt and we are feeling a little cockyby saying "they could drop us off in downtown New York City and we'd find one and kill him ". I just thank God that we are ALL able to enjoy hunting these awesme birds each spring.This community would be much more pleasant if we substituted belittling with congratulating.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Mr longbeard,
Its great you have taken two tough birds. Lets hear the stories behind the hunts on these birds. Stories could offer help and ideas for the less knowledgeable hunters to become successfull with the tough birds that they endur. We are all here to help each and other out with this sport are we not ? or is it that this is just a Blow your own horn post that you decided to stur the pot with ?

Now you must have known you we're going to get this impact with the starting of a thread in that wording..

Spill the beans How many times did the gobblers Gobble ? How close was the setup when you started these birds ?
Was it morning or afternoon hunting that these hunts took place ?
Aggressive or Suttle calling played the main part of the calling ?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the (2) Nice birds.

My family owns 350 acres. The house sits on 120, with the other 230 is split up. I hunt one 40 piece down the road. It is boardered by 2 other farmers, who allow a lot of hunters the opportunity to hunt. Last year i got drawn for the 4th season here in Minnesota. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd season the birds around my hunting land was very pressured and 3 turkeys were shot by three differant hunters. The birds i hunted were call shy, decoy shy, and very much educated. 40,000 acres of public land? Thats a whole lot of land to be "heavily" hunted. I'm not trying to "shine a light in your eyes", just trying to show you that hunting private land isn't as easy as your making it sound. Have you hunted private land before?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

anybody ever see pix of these birds!

Quick Reply: I'm finished

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.