Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Took what I could get- barely!

Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 AM
TDE
Spike

Default Took what I could get- barely!

My season started Thursday and the weather wasn't cooperating. The winds were steady andgusting up to 30mph. On top of that it rained off an on. I heard a few sparse gobblesin the mornings on theroost but nothing the rest of thetime anywhere I went. I had other seasons like this in years gone by where it seemed like the birds evaporated. I figured they probably went to low valleys and I only had places to hunt on the tops of the bluffs. I was fairly confident I was going to go home empty handed.

Mid day yesterday (saturday), I picked the only place I had to hunt that had a hillside facing down and away from the wind. Ipicked a random spot andset up. I had made two calls about 40 minutes apart. Out of nowhere a jake shows up. He didn't make a single noise. My gun was resting on my knee, my red dot scope wasn't on, and my hand wasn't close enough to my safety to turn it off. I was hoping he would strut and fan and turn his back to me but he never did. So, every time he turned his head I made a slight move. I managed to getmy gunup in a few short moves, but whenI movedmy hand to the dial onmy red dot he caught me. He started to alarm putt. I turned the knob on the red dot and he turned to run back the direction from where he came. I madea quick move down to my safety, turned it off and pulled the trigger all in one motion.Imostly got him in the chest but a few bb's managed to get him in the lower kneck and he went down.

He wasn't very big but he'll be good eating. Attached isa picture. I pretty much blew his beard off, there were only a few strands left so you'll have to look hard to see them. Oh well, it was a success nonetheless!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:40 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Default RE: Took what I could get- barely!

Good job.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:57 AM

Way to figure out what's going on and adapt. Also, nothing to be ashamed of with that bird. Congrats!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a fine bird...
Old 05-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Can't eat a full fan and its better than tag soup!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

I turn my red dot on as i enter the woods and turn off when i leave for that very reason. Batteries aren't that much and they do last quite awhile anyways. Nice bird had to go making things exciting huh
Old 05-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the bird! Love the gun, looks like a turkey killer!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:58 AM

congrats...
Old 05-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey ya got him, thats all that counts. Aint that a good feeling, especially taking one in bad weather. Last year i went out in the wind and snow thinking nothin was gonna happen, and i left 10 minutes later with a bird over my shoulder. Good job on the bird.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

congrats.

Quick Reply: Took what I could get- barely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.