Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Huge group of turkeys?

Old 05-04-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Huge group of turkeys?

Hey everyone,
I went hunting two weeks ago on family land, on the land there are two large rivers… we were told to “go hunt down by the river” because there were plenty of turkey there. We immediately assumed that it was a particular one of the two rivers. Well, after hunting for hours with absolutely no sign of any kind that turkeys had ever been there, it was time to head back home. Before we went home though, we stopped off by a family member’s house, at which time we were informed that we were hunting the wrong river![:@] We were also told that at the “right” river - just a few miles away, the turkeys were so thick they were “about to carry the people off…”

Has anyone else ever heard of turkeys clustering into tight groups of huge populations?

We’re headed back out soon, this time to the other river.

And I'm bringing back a turkey!

Thanks,
-asonofgod

Old 05-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Huge group of turkeys?

they are called flocks...a flock of turkey...lol

during the fall and winter they will flock up. ive seen em in the 60s-80s before. looked like the ground was moving...spring time we went there and there was only a couple gobblin..not very impressive. in the spring they break up...gobblers will fight eachother..hens choose what gobbler she wants bred by and hangs around him. later in the season the hens will go around alone or with other hens..you might catch gobblers together...but usually the same age class..usually jakes and 2yo birds..anything older will usually be alone and be more dominate...cant say ive ever seen a flock in the spring...ive seen boss toms with a ton of hens...but hes king.

id definently check that other river out...probably birds in there still...good luck
Old 05-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned, they will flock upin the fall and winter and sometimes the numbers of birds can be awesome! I've personally seen in excess of 150 birds feeding in acornfield as soon as snow starts to cover the ground. It's almost as if the snow sends into a near panic survival mode and they all bunchup.

Wait to see some of the numbers that the folks from real turkey states will post. I know I've seen photos of birds numbering well over 300 in winter flocks before!

Good luck hunting the right River!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:37 AM

The place we were hunting consisted of about 800 acres, but no one had seen any turkeys, execpt over in a certain area of about 150 acres by a river. Would flocks be that large, or was that simlpy a better habitat for turkeys? They made these same claims for the last several years when we went and visited.

In any event, we had no chance to really scout the area, so we went on the long shot that our reletives knew what they were talking about... in both times we hunted we didn't see tracks, scat, feathers, no turkeys, no turkey sounds... we did see a bunch of oil equipment, perhaps the old fellows were refering to turkeys they seen some years time ago...

in any case, thanks for help.