Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Montana Decoys

Old 04-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Montana Decoys

Anybody here try the Montana decoys? I hate carrying decoys around, and I was thinking of trying one or 2 of these since they supposedly fit into a pocket. I haven't seen them in person yet, but I just wondered if anyone has tried/used them.

Mike
Old 04-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Montana Decoys

I personally dont hunt with them, but my buddy does. They are absolutely realistic..... just two demensional, so you cant let the gobbler cirlce it or he will get weary. But yes they work, and are very easy to carry in and out of field. They wont fit in your pocket, but are extrememly easy to transport. He uses a hen and a full strut tom. Work great for him.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

I used them quite a bit this year and last year. I've seen them work as prescribed and Ive seen them flat spook the heck out of a turkey. Set up is key with these things. As has already been mentioned they are not 3 dimensional. When a bird is working into them and they lose sight they get confused and from what I have seen hung up. When i do use them I fix their position so they either have permanent backdrop that makes them always visable or I position them fixed perpendicular to the expected approach. I also place them much closer to our set up than usual. While I can say they work , I am not at all convinced they work any better than any other deke out there. The breeding jake deke is a joke and I reccomend passing on it. It confuses me and the birds looking at it.LOL I have all but quit using them preferring the old stand by carrylites and feather flexes.Adding the strutting tom to the full bodied conventional dekes has worked pretty well. No doubt in terms of strutting tom dekes its the most packable and easy to deploy.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

I've had this happen to a couple birds this season here in SW Pa.......with my regular dekes. Once on youth day, (we still got the bird) and once this past saturday. They seem to want to skirt right around my hens, and I only had 2 hens out...no male dekes whatsoever. If they run from hens, I can't imagine what would happen if they spotted another jake or tom....

I'm not switcing to a Montana because I think they'll work better, but only to ease carrying something that doesn't seem to work anyway I don't hunt fields to much, so I don't use dekes in the woods regularly anyways. Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike

ORIGINAL: hatracked

I used them quite a bit this year and last year. I've seen them work as prescribed and Ive seen them flat spook the heck out of a turkey.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:20 PM

I tried the strutting decoy 2 of the times I've been out this season. It brought in longbeards each time but I didn't get to shoot at any. Mostly because of the way I was set up but still, they all caught the decoy at the wrong angle.