Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Cat and mouse

Old 04-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cat and mouse

I have been after this nice tomb for the last three days and he is driveing me nuts. He never comes through the field I have been hunting at the same time so I have a hard time knowing when to be there. He is never there when I set up, he is always already there when I go to set up so I try to put a sneak attack on him and when I think Im getting close enough to shoot him, he's gone!! This bird is going to tramatize me by the end of the season. But on the bright side, if I do finally get him, it will be one that will be hard to forget. Anyone else have a sly gobbler that keeps you up at night trying to think of a way to put him to the ground?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cat and mouse

I finally got one, a nice one at that!! But before I tell you about that let me tell you how the day went. This morning I went out to a field that a bird has been flying down on for three mornings but always found a way to distance between us. Well I got to the spot and right off the bat I hear a gobble. I was a little nervous, but not as much as the first few mornings because in the back of my mind I knew somthing would go wrong just because of the past couple of hunts. Then another bird gobbles south of me by our food plot, but I wanted to get the first one I heard Just because I already knew he was a old timer long beard. So soon as he flew down he headed to another field and ran as fast as I could to beat him their and some how did. He gobbled and strutted right for me, but didnt call because this bird was very call shy, and when I realized he wasnt going to come any closer than fifty yards I rested the bead on his head and fired and he flew off and didnt land untill he made it to the woods. I have been hunting turkeys for five or six years and have got one every year and never missed, so I guess I was do for one sooner or later, but why did it have to be this morning!!! I dont want to ever experience that again, but happens now and then for us non-stop hunters. I didnt even want to go hunting for the rest of the day after that. But I got the turkey hunting fever again towards the end of the day and decided to go to the deepest, biggest woods I knew of and wait for a bird to hopefully come through to roost. I got there around 6:30 and didnt here or see any turkey sign anyways, but plenty of deer and squirrels to keep me entertained. Well, the sun started to set so I decided to call it a night when out of no where a turkey gobbles and gobbles and gobbles. It was like someone had flipped a switch on the turkey to gobble and strut mode. And he came right to me and I took the shot at twenty five yards and dropped him dead. I thanked god probably a couple dozen times, because it was like he had set me up for it. He weighed 26lbs, had a ten inch beard, and 1 1/4" spurrs- does any body know what that would be in millimeters, just wondering? Good luck to you all, and I hope you have safe, unforgettable hunts.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:15 PM
TDE
Spike

Default RE: Cat and mouse

Congrats! That's what's great about hunting, just when you think they've found every way to elude you one falls into your lap.