Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First time turkey hunting

Old 04-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First time turkey hunting

Well, after getting a few good pictures of some turkeys on my trail cameras I've decided to try to see if I can get one the next couple of weekends.

I'm going to set up some corn for bait, I have a Primos "The Gobbler" shaker call that will gobble and make a hen sound. I bought a Mad Calls "Cherry Bomb" box call and a set of Knight & Hale diaphragm calls. I'm going to buy a game winner hen decoy from academy and go for it.

I've gota range finder and I'm going to put my full choke on my shotgun (Yildiz over under) and pick up a box of turkey shot. I'm printing off a few of the turkey shot patterns and will check and see what kind of distance I can expect to shoot to.

I've never turkey hunted and will probably be lucky to even see a hen, but who knows maybe I'll have some beginners luck.

Here are the pictures that made me decide to go turkey hunting:

I know a good ground blind would help a lot. I thought about just buying this el cheapo $40 one from academy and seeing how it worked for now.

What do you guys think?

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/blinds

Any other helpful hints or advice?

Thanks, Nathan

Old 04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: First time turkey hunting

Blind - looks good other than using bait is illegal!

So do be carefull about that.

And be carefull about using that Gobble call - it may just call in other hunters if on public land!

Soft hen calling is the key and not much of that either is what I use.

JW
Old 04-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reading the regulations in Fisher county I think bait is okay? Some other counties have comments about it bait being prohibited but in Fisher county it doesn't mention anything.

Here's the special restriction on Fort Bend county:
Turkey - Eastern Spring Season: April 1 - 30. Bag limit: 1 (gobbler only).
[ul][*]SPECIAL REGULATIONS: Shotgun, archery and crossbows only, no hunting over bait; all turkeys must be checked at a check station within 24 hours after they are killed; and harvested turkeys may be field dressed, but must otherwise remain intact. Click here for Turkey Check Stations
[/ul]
Here's the regulations for Fisher county:
Turkey - Archery Season: September 30 - October 29 (either sex); Fall Season: November 4 - January 7 (either sex); Spring Season: March 31 - May 13 (gobblers only). Bag limit: 4 (all seasons combined).
I would think it would mention no hunting over bait if it applied in that county?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I would not use county but look at the over all state regulations.

If still in doubt check with your local game warden.......I just don't want to see you get in trouble as I know of no state that allows baiting for turkeys.

JW
Old 04-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

npaden and JW....in the state of Texas (where I live), you can use corn year round while hunting (as far as I know).

npaden...is there a big tree that you can sit up against to hunt those turkey? I would prefer to do that instead of using the blind. If you do use the blind, make sure that it doesn't flap around a lot or make noise, as that may have a negitive effect on your hunt. Just camo out as much as you can and find a good wide tree...sit up against it and give out some calls. As far as the gobbler shaker is concerned...I use one but I am on private land. I would advise against it on public land because you will get the attention of every hunter in the area! I have found that the gobbler shaker is really good as a "locater" call. I have also gotten a gobbler to commit just a little bit furthur by giving a couple of yelps and then using the shaker. The real gobbler then thinks that another "gobbler" is in the area and will then fully commit. Just remember that there is a lot of movement with the shaker, so make sure the gobbler can't see you before using!!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the first attempt was a complete strike out. (I got there at 6:30pm and only messed around with it for an hour so it wasn't like I spent the whole weekedn at it). I tried the gobbler call a few times and never got an answer. I set a feeder up and will go back this weekend and see if they've found it or not.

Biggest lesson learned by far from this trip.... MISQUITOS!!!

What do you guys use? Can turkeys smell very good? I've been itching all day!!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

illegal here as well.if not it would be stealing candy from a baby.[:'(]