Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

private land/licences...

Old 04-26-2007, 02:24 PM

Default private land/licences...

hey all. this doesnt directly relate to turkeys, but i didnt know where else to post it. are you allowed to hunt on your own land without getting a license? i think that you must have a license no matter where you hunt, but my friend is trying to say that if you hunt your own land, you dont need a license. by the way, i Live in Maryland, if it matters. thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: private land/licences...

I highly doubt that there is any state that allows hunting of most critters without some sort of license, whether it be damage control license, general hunting license, land-owner only license, etc. Sure he can hunt his own land without one, right up to the point of getting caught!
Old 04-26-2007, 06:26 PM

From what I've heard, in Kentucky landowners can hunt on their own property without buying a license or tag. They have to make their own paperwork if they need to remove the animal from their property (like to get a deer cut up at a meat shop). I've got a brother that lives there, and has done this very thing.
However, here in Oregon, that isn't how it's done.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:24 PM

From the MD DNR website:
looks like it's okay if you can prove you own it and only hunt that property. you still have to tag game and call it in though.

Who May Hunt Without a License After Oct. 1, 2006
It is unlawful to hunt without a valid hunting license in your possession unless you are exempt from this requirement as described in this section. You are not required to possess a hunting license or stamps (except the Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp, the federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp, and a Furbearer Permit) if you are:
[ul][*]
A resident of Maryland (and spouse) who owns property and who hunts only on that property. This also applies to the owner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16. You do not need to live on the property but must be able to prove ownership.
[*]
A person (and spouse) who: (1) holds land under lease for agricultural purposes (or a sharecropper); and (2) lives on this farmland; and (3) hunts only on this farmland. This also applies to the lessee’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
[*]
A nonresident (and spouse) who owns a contiguous piece of farmland that is in both Virginia and Maryland may hunt on the Maryland portion of his or her property without a Maryland hunting license, if the person’s primary residence is on the Virginia portion of the property. This also applies to the owner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
[*]
A Maryland resident serving in the United States Armed Forces while on official leave in Maryland (whether stationed in Maryland or outside Maryland). You must possess a copy of official leave orders while hunting. See Hunters in the Armed Forces in the following text.
[/ul]
NOTE: Nonresidents of Maryland who own property in the state and hunt on that property are required to purchase a Nonresident Hunting License. Individuals who are exempt from Maryland hunting license requirements are subject to all state and federal laws and regulations relative to hunting and trapping.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can hunt gamebirds (except for turkeys)and small game without a license on your own property here in Oregon . Anything that would require a game tag would also reguire you to get a hunting licence .

It would be advisable to read the game book from whatever state you lived in because they are all different from what I have seen .