Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

i got him!!!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i got him!!!!!

Here's a picture of Jakes jake.It was definitly a jake and it did weigh 19 lb.He can tell ya the story.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:52 AM

Ok, heres the story. We started in the woods at about 5:30-5:45. When we got to the woods we set up on the edge of this feild. It was finally starting to break daylight when I could see just a little over the hill a big black thing in the tops of the trees. I sat and watched it for a while wondering if I was just seeing things until i saw it move. I got really excited when i seen it turn around to face us. It finally flew down into the corner of the field, but just over a small hump in the field. Dad never seen the bird and never knew it was there until I whispered back to start callin becuase he is down in the field. Dad started callin and he was gobbling like no tomorrow . While callin to that bird, I could here another bird in the opposite corner of the field (dad says its the same bird walkin back and forth but I think it was 2 seperate birds).Butneitherbird never came up. At about 7 o'clock, we decided to stand up and strech our legs cause the birds never left. We decided to walk just in the woods to the corner of the field where the first bird was to see if he was still in the dip. We never saw him. So dad called to see if the bird will still answer our calls when all of the sudden I hear the other bird we heard earlier gettin closer. I told dad to hurry up and go behind me and call him in. We just sat down and all I see is a head poping up over the hill about 70-80 yards away. I whispered back to dad "THERE HE IS!!". Dad couldnt see him cause there was a hugh tree in his away. I told him to just keep callin. The bird picked up on the call right away. He started comin struttin and gobbling the whole way toward us. Then I relized something. We left the decoy in the old spot about 40 yards away. I thought "Oh no, were screwed. Hes gonna go to the decoy and not us." The bird spotted the decoy and started goin toward him. Lucky dad started callin a little more aggressivly and he started back our way. He got right infront of me and I heard dad say he's in range. I waited for him to move right infront of my shotgun, knowing if I moved to put the bead on him, he would see me. He moved right infront of me and BAM! he was hurt. I didn't get him good enough to put him right down. He stated floppin and he came flyin back to us. But he was hurt enough that he wasnt gonna go anywhere. He was on the other side of the fence andI didnt want to see himsufferso I just popped another one in him point blank and that finally did it. We got the tag on him and my leg was going 100 miles a minute (my leg shakes when I kill something, I dont know why). So thats my spring turkey hunting story for this year. It was quite a show
Old 04-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Going Jake the snake
Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Jake!!! Geezzeeee Jal, he's bigger than you!! LOL!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Nice bird!!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 AM

congrats
Old 04-25-2007, 06:10 AM

Congrats. I understand those leg shakes... My son in law could hardly talk when he shot his first turkey.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jake harvey
We got the tag on him and my leg was going 100 miles a minute (my leg shakes when I kill something, I dont know why).
that's what makes it good! I usually can't walk for a little while, especially if he put up a real nice show!! Congrats!!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:20 AM

Nice hunt, definitely good story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

man, nice job. wish my hunt would have been as good as that this year. I had second season in wisconsin and it seems all the toms were henned up already. friday and saturday morning we had at least 3 or 4 toms gobbling in their roosts. when they flew down, the hens were already with them. calling had no effect on them at all. the only chance i had at one was when two toms were out in the field. i snuck around the edge of the field about 300 yards and when i got there they were all gone. oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.