Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

eating turkey at camp..

Old 04-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Default eating turkey at camp..

hey all. if im lucky enough to get a turk this weekend, i would love to cook it right there at camp. i know yoy can deep fry them, bake them or whatever ,but can I grill the breasts? Will it turn out right. I dont have a huge grill, i just have a little propane one. or is there another way to do it? Please let me know if its possible, as i would love to eat it right there. thanks alot.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Default RE: eating turkey at camp..

I would see no problem with your plan at all. It's a lot like cutting a steak off at deer camp and grilling it while you finish processing the rest. My suggestion would be to just cut the breast off, not bothering with plucking it. Then just trim off the fat and stuff that is usually associated with them. If I were cooking it on a small propane camping grill I would definitely cut the breast into smaller strips. Those style of grill seem to have a little trouble getting very hot andit may take along time for them to fully cook. Like chicken, I like to make sure that it is done.

May I also suggest a cajun rub. Manthe thought ofblackened turkey breast is making me hungry. Good thing I have a steak ready to grill when I get home.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

If you want to grill it ............ this is what I do.

-Remove the breast then cut it into 1" thick slices (whatever length you like, I usually cut full length).
-Season with a little seasoning salt or rub
-place some BBQ sauce into the bottom of a container, then the slices then cover with more BBQ sauce
-leave it for about 1 hour (give or take, 30 minutes min.)
-place on a heated grill, turn after about 2-3 minutes and finished in about 6 minutes

It will not take too long to cook them this way on the grill and you will not be disappointed.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2007, 03:17 PM

thanks alot fellas. that answers my questions exactly. Im glad to know that i can cook it just like i would deer (basically). im getting hungaryjust thinking of all this grilled wildlife lol
Old 04-18-2007, 07:45 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

If it's a permanent hunting camp (one you use often for deer/turks/misc.) you might start looking around for charcoal/wood smoker to leave there permanently.If you've never smoked anything you can'timagine how goodthat turkey or a deer butt roast would be.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

The best one I ever ate was cooked in a backwoods camp over an open fire in Missouri a few years ago. Just breast it out, cut into strips, baste in a honey BBQ sauce, wrap in bacon and cook it over the campfire. Take along a small grate or something toplace the meat over the fire.

Mouthcaller
Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

A real easy method....Pull skin off breast and remove breast fillets....

Slice breast into 1 " thick steaks ACROSS the grain... Soak meat in Italian Dressing for a couple of hours, and then broil on the grill over medium heat...Do NOT overcook or you may dry it out...It will be cooked and tender before you know it..Probably 3-4 minutes per side is plenty...

Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 AM

slice the breast into decint strips and fry them and the legs