Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

One tough year

Old 04-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default One tough year

This has been one of the most challenging seasons I can remember. I have managed to kill two birds so far, a 14 pound jake and an 18 pound gobbler, but even that was a challenge. Toms with hens, toms not gobbling, drastic weather changes, and toms gobbling but not responding to calling all have affected me. I hunted for five days in Tennessee and managed to scratch out the jake on my last day. Even the jakes didn't respond to calling. It was real tough. It took me two weeks to finally get the 18 pounder on my own property. I have another one out there who is even more stubborn than the one I killed. I will be hunting him for the next two weekends. I guess it could be a lot worse though. Anyone having problems this season bagging one? I guess if it were always easy it wouldn't be fun.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One tough year

I have managed to kill two birds so far, a 14 pound jake and an 18 pound gobbler
Last year was tough for me as I broke my streak of6 years that started when I shot my first turkey. My season this year starts in 5 days and then all hell will break loose. Those birds wont know what hit them (hopefully a guillotine) Sorry for your "rough" season and bagging two birds must have been tough.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah last year was really tuff for me. Finally got one with only a week left in the season. Cant say about this year yet. The opener is this coming monday. Wish me luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your s!@#y season dude...Hopefully you can get that third PP bird
Old 04-11-2007, 09:14 AM

I live and hunt in Tennessee, and I have had none of the problems you mention. Every morning you can hear birds just chain gobbling, and during nesting times they are very muchinterested in yourcalling, just they might not make as much noise. I have been out on 6 different occasions this season, killed 2 personally, called in and had 2 others killed by someone else(All mature birds.), and another missedby someone else, and saw at least one bird on each occasion. Jakesrarely will respond to calls at all, but I will bet money that if you have anywithinhearing distance they'll be there, they are tooready tolose their virginitynot to.I'm covered up in birds, almost to the point that all you have to do is be in the woods to get a nice chance@one. Hope your season makes a turn around for ya. Good hunting.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The area I was hunting was slow. Hunters around the same area experienced the same as we did. I also heard just a couple of hours north the birds were running to calls. I guess it depends on where you are and the mood of the birds. There were just not that many birds where I was. That was the main problem. The gobblers were with hens. The ones that did gobble would not budge. I still had a good time. Any day in the woods chasing turkeys is better than spending a day at home. I hunted in Fayette and Hardeman counties. The turkeys seemed to be spotty this year. Some fields I drove by had plenty of turkeys while others were always empty. Don't get me wrong, the season hasn't been bad, it's just been really tough working the birds. I like a challenge and this year I've got one. If the season ended now I would be very happy with my two birds. Where in Tenn. are you hunting? I'm also sure the area I hunted will improve as the season goes on. I just wish I could go back, but I will not have enough time.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 AM

Montgomery Co. just outside of Clarksville. Its about anhour north of Nashville. The birds are all over the place here.. you also have to remember for every bird you see, theres probably 2 you don't.