Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

push pin call need chalk

Old 04-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default push pin call need chalk

I got a started Knight & Hale starter turkey kit that came with a slate pot call, push pin call, crow call and a learn to call CD. It also came with a piece of chalk that I assume is for the push pin call. So my question is, how do I chalk the push pin call? The instructions didn't mention the chalk at all.

I assume I need to chalk the little triangler wood striker, or that paddle that attaches to the pin or both....

Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: push pin call need chalk

You flip the paddle out and chalk it.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: push pin call need chalk

Box Call Maintenance
A good box call is one of the most costly calls to buy, but proper care in the field and regular maintenance will turn that crafted piece of wood into a loyal companion in the turkey woods for many years.
When maintaining your call, the first thing to remember is to keep the call's surfaces clean and do not ever use sandpaper on it. Sandpaper can change the tone of your call.
It's also important to handle your box call carefully. Keep your fingers off the striking surfaces: the edges of the box and the underside of the lid. Skin contains natural oils, which can affect the sound and life of your call. Make sure to use only chalks, such as box call, teacher's or carpenter's chalk. Stay away from chalks with an oil or sugar base.
Only use chalk on the underside of the lid. The beveled edges of the call are important in its design, and use of chalk on the edges can wear them down.
Make sure you blow out the sound chamber of your box call from time to time. This will get rid of any chalk dust that might have settled.
Storing your box call is simple. If you don't have a holster, store your box call in a large, plastic bag. This will keep moisture from getting to the call.
By following these simple tips, your box call may become a collector's item some day.