Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Range with a Bow

Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Range with a Bow

I am going to try it with a bow this year. I am wondering how far people feel comfortable shooting. Range isn't really an issue as far as my setup, but I don't know if it's like deer, or if I should try to keep shots under 25yds. I will be hunting out of a blind along some food plot edges. Also do you set up decoys differently if for bowhunting.

Thanks
Dan [align=right][/align]

Old 04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range with a Bow

It all depends on what your comforable with. I personally won't shoot a bird over 25 yards. Under 20 is ideal for me.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

30 and under!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

After shooting a few 3D tournaments, now....(and I DO relaize they aren't under 'hunting' conditions).....I'd have to say 30yds. I would have said shorter than that......even a couple of months ago.

BUT.....

I'm not wearing the amount of clothes I wear when deer hunting. It's not as cold. I'm on the same elevation as the turkey.

etc..., etc..., etc...

I give as much respect to a bird (turkey) as I would to the whitetail......but I think I've proven to myself that I can hit him at that range with a killing shot.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM

Yea I agree with everyone else here. Last year was a tuff season for me and the bow. I missed a big tom at 25 yards the second day of the season normally an easy no brainer shot but when them big toms are in full strut gobbling there heads off it just does something to a guy , and that is why we come back for this every spring. The last weekend of the season I called in two toms and a jake. The toms stood at 32 yards and the jake was at 19 yards so I went for the easy shot and it worked out for me. So yea the closer the better. And as for the decoys I like to keep them about 7 to 10 yards from the blind.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:58 PM

20-25 YARDS IS IDEAL 30 YARD IS PUSHING IT, THE FARTHER THE SHOT THE LESS LIKELY YOU ARE TO NOTICE A STRAY LIMB OR SOMETHING ELSE ALONG THAT LINE YOU'LL BE TO BUSY LOOKING AT THE TARGET
Old 04-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkey NEVER stop moving and have a very small kill zones, because of this I am very selective with my shots and limit my range. I think the 25 yard suggestions above sound pretty realistic as a general rule under most hunting conditions.

To answer your question about if I set my decoys differently for bowhunting..... YES sir.Placea Jake or aStrutter decoy between 5 and 10 yards directly ahead of you and EXACTLY where you want to shoot. Make sure you have thedecoy facing your location and this will force the Gobbler to come in and position himself between you and the decoy everytime. A challenging bird will nearly always come in and face the decoy or atleast seem to be looking for eye contact. This will allow you a shot at a bird that will be facing straight away from you and he won't be able to detect any movement on your part because you'll be screened by his tail fan, about the only blind spot you'll find on a Gobbler and a bowhunter must learn to exploit this. Keep those decoys CLOSE for a slamdunk shot and by keeping them so close to the blind even a spooky pressured bird will usually move close enough to this set-up where he'll still come within bowrange even if he doesn't commit totally. This season I'm anxious to collect some serious feedback on the Pretty Boy set up.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

More important than how far you shoot is where to shoot them. Make sure you know where the vitals are on turkeys. They are small, small, small. I know you can probably shoot great groups at 30 plus yards but put a real live critter in front of you at 20 and see what happens to your nerves. Takes a lot of mental toughness to make a smooth release and a good follow thru.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Killed my first KS gobbler this year with my bow at exactly 30 yards, second one at 20 yards. Both gobblers never made it another 30 yards. Their kill zone is very small and your nerves will play a major roll in your shot plus the kill zone changes as the bird moves, I recommend keeping your shots to well under 30 yards.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:43 PM

ill do 60 yds and under with my bow.....

Quick Reply: Range with a Bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.