Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What do I mount the beard with?

Old 04-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do I mount the beard with?

I am currently drying my jake's beard, and I was wondering if there was a certain thing I can do to "Mount" it.

My grandpa suggested I should just use a small nail and nail it to a small board, and stick the board up on the wall, but this would involve putting a hole in the base of the beard, and I'm hesitant to do that, I was wondering what should I do to preserve the beard for years to come.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 PM

Default RE: What do I mount the beard with?

i use the shell i shoot them with. cut the plastic off leaving just the brass. then hot glue the beard inside the shell. i then have a little plaque thing made that i drill holes in and slide the shells in there. it works and looks pretty good.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

I use the shell I shot the same way as punt said except I knock out the firing pin and put a small hook in the shot shell so it can hang under my tail fan...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:35 PM

What they said. This way you can make a plaque or shelf of sorts and hang them in a row as you add more to the collection!!! Now be sure to add plenty of salt and trim off the meat as close as you can. A wrap of "black tape around the top is a good idea if you don't intend to hot glue it. Sometimes they come apart. Usually jakes stay together pretty well though.

By the way....CONGRATS on the jake kill. Way to go!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

Easy to do You can write or etch into the brass your stats n the bird or something about the hunt.