Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

whats everyones favorite turk hunting vest?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default whats everyones favorite turk hunting vest?

I have the bucklick creek chair/vest, its ok but im not greatly satisfied with it. It sometimes makes noises from the chair straps. Since im bowhunting this season the chair part is not going to do meany good!! What are you guys using?? And for the bowhunters what do you like to use?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whats everyones favorite turk hunting vest?

i use a blind and a chair. Although i won some cabelas brand vest and i am looking forward to using it for shotgun hunting
Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

I have a mossy oak elite vest. Its ok, but to me I have a hard time finding my calls because it has lots of pockets.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossy Oak Elite, love mine and all it's 20 individual zippered pockets!!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 AM

I have the Primos turkey vest and I absolutely love it.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm going to be using a bandoleer. I strictly blind hunt.....and don't really need the seat, even. The bandoleer is just easier to take on and off.....and it's got easier access than going into all of the vest pockets.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Mossy Oak Elite Hybrid
Old 04-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

*begin rant*

I've ruined every one I ever had - maybe 4 or 5 now - ripping the buttons off, busting the seams around the zippers, tearing the seats off, ripping the pockets open, etc... Maybe they're just not made for crawling through briar thickets and over/under barbed wire fences 20 days a year.

The one I have now hassurvived 2 full years of demolition, going into Y-3, and is still barely ticking. It's down one button, has an ever-growing hole torn in the back,the entire back of the thing is stainedbrown with bloodand the zipper that holds on the seat is permanently stuck. It's a 10x, and she's on her last leg.

I just like it b/c it has padded shoulder straps, and I was able to get it in a super-small size. I can't stand my vest fitting sloppy or loose, so I like to have everything cinched pretty tight which helps keep the slates and owl hooters from clanking around. I don't understand it, b/c I'm about six feet tall,175 #, and even the smallest one (medium) is a little big and sloppy on me (even AFTER I took all the adjustment out of it). I know there are a lot of guys a whole lot smaller than me, not sure what they do about finding a vest that fits. Somebody please tell me why they don't make vests to fit normal people. Seriously, I'd have to be as round as I am tall just to get this thing to be good and tight.

I went to Cabela's last year with $150 budget for a good turkey vest - I tried on EVERY SINGLEONE THEY SOLD, and STILL couldn't find one that fit right. Hello??? Not every turkey hunter has a 55" gut. I settled for the 10x in a medium. (You'd think that since they make a medium, they would make a small, but that would be incorrecto. Nope, Medium = Small. Don't ask me how that works. But if you want a XXXL, they have that. My buddy bought the Large, and he's 6'5", 300#. I wouldn't wanna crossthe man that fits in the triple XL).

For some reason or another, companies just refuse to make a turkey vest out of good, heavy duty materials. And they refuse to make them that fit.

*end rant*
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a primos vest that i used to use when i shotgun hunted and i really liked it. Since i started bowhunting i switched to a backpack because i dont like shooting with a vest on...