Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

chokes, and turkey loads??

Old 03-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default chokes, and turkey loads??

I have a remington 870 turkey gun with the super full turkey choke in it, and I have been shooting 3" 5 shotwinchester supremes. They seem to do pretty good. I was wondering what is the tightest choke tube you can get? Also would 3 1/2 shells give alot better pattern, and distance? Also the shot sizes 4 5 6 and so on what is the best for turkey, and what differs from each. I can shoot over 40 easy and kill a turkey with my setup, just wondering if you went to all the extremes of tightest choke, bigger shell, andbigger shot how far could you shoot?I would never shoot any further45 yards, Although I have once 49 yards killed it too. Thanks for any info
Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: chokes, and turkey loads??

I shoot that same setup. Granted I didnt try every shell out there but several and that gave me the best pattern.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

If yo ucan handle a 3.5" shell...I would go with that because that shell has more pellets than a 3" shell does. As far as shot size goes with different chokes...you are going to have to expierement with what works best from your gun. Most people seem to think that a third party choke, such as the Primos Jelly head or the H.S. Strut or the the Mad Maxx, pattern better than the chokes that come with the gun. I would get one choke and try different brands of ammo with different shot sizes and see how your guns performs. If you are satisfied with your results, then great! If you aren't satisfied, then you can go and get a different choke and repeat the process. I use an 870 SPS-T and I use a Primos Jelly Head with Federal Flight control 3.5" #5 shot and I am getting good patterns out to 50 yards. But what works for me may not work for you. Best of luck this up-coming season!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Spike

I've got the 870 super mag. I started out with the remington super full trk choke, and got best results with 3.5in #5 federal flight controls. I decided to buy an undertaker, and it does about the same, maybe alittle less than the factory choke, but i still can kill a turkey at 45 easy. Be ready for the 3.5in shells, they kick alot more than the 3in, i don't really know why, they just do.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I know you can get a .640 choke for this gun. Hastings & Indian Creek make one I know. But tighter is not always better. 'The more shot you have to choke down can lead to blown patterns in tight chokes.