Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

wild dog in the area

Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wild dog in the area

If you handload shotshells, do what my uncle did, he would load the shotshells with rocksalt, and the dogs never bothered them after that. Justdon't shoot them in the face, you could blind them.

In TN it's actually legal to shoot dogs trespassing on property, heck, we almost did it one time with a neighbor pitbull.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

If you handload shotshells, do what my uncle did, he would load the shotshells with rocksalt, and the dogs never bothered them after that. Justdon't shoot them in the face, you could blind them.

In TN it's actually legal to shoot dogs trespassing on property, heck, we almost did it one time with a neighbor pitbull.
A farmer shot me with that crap when I was a kid, and I'll tell you what the next time we got smashed and went "cow tipping" we went to a different pasture. The railroad security guys shot that same stuff as well. We used to jump off the train tressel into the river in the summer time. The choo-choo police didn't care for us much as some retards tried to make a train run over a spare tie and almost derailed it about three miles outside of town (wasn't us either). But I digress....
Old 03-27-2007, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: the kidd

now i only have 20 acres and then there is a wild dog what would you do?

S

Wouldn't be the first deer dog to get the chop on my farm. No reason for a walker hound to be running a doe about to drop a farm in the spring time.

The problem is NOT people who shoot dogs. The PROBLEMIS the IRRESPONSIBLE REDNECKS who let their dogs run free all over creation and then turn them loose after hunting season because it is cheaper and easier to buy new dogs each fall than it is to feed them all summer. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what gives hunters a black eye: half starved mutts running rampant, interbreeding with coyotes, killing fawns, ruining turkey hunts, and biting kids.

Now I am not talking about shooting a lab, or a swamp collie (god forbid) or a shepard, or some other obviously cared for, properly collared dog with a good disposition that has obviously gotten lost or loose. You have to use some common sense folks. If you are driving in for the afternoon hunt and see some little kid with a leash and collar and then see a friendly Basset Hound on the way to your stand then do the right thing and return the dog. If its a pet, then it should come right up to you and make like a pet. Plain and simple. If its wild and rouge, it will run like a scared ape.

But ultimately, its up to the landowner. If you are irresponsible enough to let your dog (or especially your cat....no trial for acat, justa ride on the Winchester Express) run free on someone elses property, then you ought to be shot as well, because you are part of the problem. Its no different then blasting Bon Jovi amped up all the way at 2 am in yourneighborhood or setting off fireworks on Sunday morning. You are intruding and invading on others peace, quiet and property.

Does anyonehere own cattle or horses? What do you do with a livestock chasing dog? You shoot, shovel and shut up.

EXACTLY HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

I thought this was a turkey hunting forum not a dog hunting forum
Old 03-27-2007, 08:12 PM

NO I KNOW THAT BUT A DOG IS THE PROBLEM DURING TURKEY SEASON IF YOU DONT WANT IT HERE THAN DONT REPLY AND OR TAKE IT OFF!GET IT DURING TURKEY SEASON WHAT WOULD YOU DO WHEN SEEING A DOG THAT IS MAINLY MY QUESTION
Old 03-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Well if i was turkey hunting and i saw a dog i would let it pass and keep on hunting. if it didnt pass i would try and chase it away.. then move to another location.. come back the next day or another day. Turkeys are hunted everyday of their life, not just from us. if a turkey sees a coyote, its not like that turkey will never ever come back to that spot that they saw it.so idont think you have much to worry about. good luck and I hope you score w/ a big bird

DURING TURKEY SEASON WHAT WOULD YOU DO WHEN SEEING A DOG THAT IS MAINLY MY QUESTION
Old 03-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

NO I KNOW THAT BUT A DOG IS THE PROBLEM DURING TURKEY SEASON IF YOU DONT WANT IT HERE THAN DONT REPLY AND OR TAKE IT OFF!GET IT DURING TURKEY SEASON WHAT WOULD YOU DO WHEN SEEING A DOG THAT IS MAINLY MY QUESTION
I would check with the neibours in the area to see if it is their dog and if you find the owner, ask them to make sure it is kept under control during the hunting seasons. If it is against the law to let the dog roam freely (make sure they know this in a polite mannor). Polite problem solving would be best for all concerned. If the dog seems to have no owner, stinging the dog with a paintball has worked in the past (they do not like to stay where they get hit with something that they did not know was there).

PA GOBBLER is correct. Turkeys face danger everyday and it does not alter their pattern as much as you and I might believe. I had a group of 15 coming to my calls one day, until a coyote ran into them, they flew up into the trees, 40 minutes later, a couple of soft calls and down they came, right into my setup.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GrumpyTom
I had a group of 15 coming to my calls one day, until a coyote ran into them, they flew up into the trees, 40 minutes later, a couple of soft calls and down they came, right into my setup.

Good luck.

Thats a good way of turning lemons into lemonade Tom. Good work.

See, I am just from a different camp here. In our part of the south, the most common means of securing a freezer full of venison is via hound and buckshot. Its a very effective method for cutovers and fields where stand and still hunting is just not nearly effective enough to keep the numbers down and the crop damage minimal. You will always have a few idoits who turn their dogs loose, or do not care to pick them up at the end of the day or season. These are the animals that become a problem. It acctually has less to do with turkey hunting and more to do with general land/animal maintence.

I had a gobbler on a dead run to me from way across a field (likely a 2 year old) about four springs ago. He made it to about 100 yards when I heard the dogs jump. All of a sudden, he was off and flying out of the field just before a pregnant doe and what looked like two yearling deer busted the field with two feral walker hounds in hot pursuit. Thats enough to make a man angry, especially when your family has to pay the taxes and upkeep on 1300 acres every year. We have all sorts of trouble with spotlighters, people dumping dogs into our place to run the deer off onto adjacent tracks, people flat out tresspassing, shooting turkeys from the road with rifles, stealing tree stands. Its insane.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Id check first , but i had a dog chase my son into our car port it was a pitbull , who got loose I have a 135lb Rotty who stays tied up on my car port with a 50 ft log chain ( just at night) but luckily for my son he wasnt turned loose for the day in the back , that is fenced in yet. but any way my dog attacked the dog and my son got away to go into the house the pit was getting the best of my dog , my wife managed to get jake loose and the fight turned around, i was at work , any how my neighbor ran over and hit the pit in the head numerouse times killing it , while my dog was fighting it we had to go to court to fight the owner even though the dog attacked , or tried first , if my dog would have been out back i could have lost my son . now my whole yard is fenced and my dogs ,( got another rotty ) runs free all the time if people cant control their pets they shouldnt have them period. but it would depend on what kind of dog it was before i would ever just kill it
Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Spike

If it doesnt have a collar, or is just running around wild constantly on your property, take it out! I know it seams harse but you'll be happy you did.

Quick Reply: wild dog in the area

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.