Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

who has never killed a turkey...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:34 PM

Default RE: who has never killed a turkey...

I havn't killed one yet. This is my second season but I didn't have my license last season. I just went with a couple buddies to see what it was like. This year I've got my calls, gear, and gun ready. I'm killing me a bird!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

took me till my 5th season. hang in there guys...its a fun ride. cant say i couldnt have killed birds before my 5th season. could killed them every year actually. just never pulled the trigger till my 5th year. first time ever hunting alone. i scouted all year...went out alone for the first time ever and brought a longbeard home

Why would you have shots at turkeys every spring for 5 springs and not shoot one??? You should take a camera in the woods in stead of a gun
Old 03-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

I wondered how long it would be until Mr Longbeard tried to belittle and criticize someone in this thread.

Does everyone see his pattern?[:'(]

Dumba$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 01:17 PM

Hey I'm 30 years old and I've called in dozens of them but I could never get a good shot at them. So I wonder if this year I'll get 1.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Spike

None for me either.
Last year was my first year and I hunted just1 weekend. I saw 3 gobblers however and heard even more. Just couldn't close the deal. I'm feeling good about this year though
Old 03-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

I started back in the 80's and remember talking to another hunter who was staying at a camp that they rent out to turkey hunters in SE Minnesota. I hadn't killed a bird and was a little discouraged after a few years and he said "This is my 10th year and I've yet to kill one". He said he loved hunting them and although he'd come really close he hadn't closed the deal yet. He optimism that day really helped me and I learned more each year. I've taken quite a few birds since then and learn more every day I'm in the woods with the birds. I've become more knowledgeable with calling and also setup which I stunk at for quite awhile. Just keep at it and it will happen for you. Before my season ever starts I get up at 4:30am quite a few mornings and head to the woods with my camo, calls, and camera which is a learning experience. I call in birds generally where no hunting is allowed around home so that I'm not messing up anyone's hunt and I learn alot by observing them. I've found as I've been around hens that were really aggressive or that were just walking by calling that I'd mimick them and with good results. Listen to the hens, remember the sounds they make, and it will serve you well. Nothing like a live hen as a good teacher. Last spring I was working a gobbler just over a hill and he wasn't coming. A hen came in from behind me and she was really ticked off. Started cutting so loud it was unreal but I kep matching her with each series of cutts and I'll never forget the cadence and sound she made. I'll use it. Sorry for the long winded post. Good luck to all this spring and I hope this is the year...
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM

thanks alot guys, makes me feel good im not the only one lol. turkeys are one of the hardest to get. good luck to everyone (myself included lol)
Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM

I got my first 2 birds last year in my third season. Hopefully after the break through year all the rest will be as successful...I can only hope.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:26 PM

this is my first real season but have messed around for about 4 yrs now....i have ever killed a gobbler yet i have killed a jake during fall though with a 243
Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

This will be my 2nd year with a bow never did it with a gun

Quick Reply: who has never killed a turkey...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.