Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun combo question/ Wild Bore encounters

Old 03-15-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Shotgun combo question/ Wild Bore encounters

Hey,
I got a Mossberg 500 with a full choke (mossberg) and I plan to be buy an undertaker or something along those lines here in the next week or so. Has anyone had good luck with this combo?

Also, I was wondering what you guys suggested for this problem...
I will be hunting in a place that seems to be overran with turkey's... and wild bore. What do you guys think I should do to prepare for a possible encounter with wild hogs? They chased a friend of ours up a tree last fall where he had to spend the night - he only had a bow and arrow. Thanks for the help guys!
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun combo question/ Wild Bore encounters

Check with your local parks and wildlife and see if you can carry a handgun. I called about it here in Texas, and during rifle season you can carry a handgun with you, however you can not during bow only season. The only way you can carry a handgun with you during bow only season is if you have your concealed handgun license. I don't know what the rules are during the spring season...I will have to find out.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just bring a couple of slugs with you if it is legal to have them in your possesion while turkey hunting. Make sure your smoker is big enough for ham and breast! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:56 PM

hows the undertaker tube going to respond to having a slug shot through it??? that'd be what i would worry about.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 PM

I had the same question.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I didn't think about that.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Best way to go for both is one like I have! 20ga 3" Mod./.30-30 Savage 24V

Old 03-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its kinda of odd that you bring this up, because I was turkey hunting when saw (and subsquently killed) my first wild pig. I was in college in South Carolina, and it was the opening weekend of spring turkey season. I was shooting my Rem 870, with a Rem X full Hevi shot approved choke. I was shooting 3" #6 1 1/2oz Hevi shot loads. I killed a very nice turkey that morning, and since it was really pretty outside and I didn't have much of anything to do, I laid down by the river and took a nap. I woke up about 30 minutes later, and saw a wild hog feeding along a game trail about 30 yards away. Wind was perfect, and the path it was on would bring it right past me, at a distance of about 15 yards. Since you can take two turkeys a day in SC, my gun was still loaded. I pulled my gun up and waited for the pig to get closer. I shot it right behind the ear at about 9 steps and it folded up like it had been electrucuted. I didn't think it was very large, but it was the first one I had ever even seenbefore. The pig weighed 227 pounds... and it wasn't much larger in size than most labs. ButLord are they solid!But those turkey loads killed him DRT.

So, long story short... if a pig is close enough to you that it would hurt you, a magnum turkey load will send it west just as quick as anything else. Keep in mind,inside of 10 yards a load of bird/game shot is little more than a frangable slug (ie: handgrenade).Forget about slugs, forget about handguns, forget about rifles. Just hit'em with what ya got and you'll be fine. Pigs aren't that dangerous anyway, unless you try to mess with them.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:27 PM

Thanks man, sounds great! I just didn't want to be caught in a really bad mess. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: asonofgod

Also, I was wondering what you guys suggested for this problem...
I will be hunting in a place that seems to be overran with turkey's... and wild bore. What do you guys think I should do to prepare for a possible encounter with wild hogs? They chased a friend of ours up a tree last fall where he had to spend the night - he only had a bow and arrow. Thanks for the help guys!
[align=left][/align]
Don't know what state you're in, but doing Spring Gobbleron Public Land(WMA) in FL, you cannot shoot Hogs. Onlyon Private Property.

Quick Reply: Shotgun combo question/ Wild Bore encounters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.