Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First timer

Old 03-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First timer

This is my first time turkey hunting, and I am thinking about using my bow. I was just wondering what I will need to start out, such as calls, decoys and stuff like that! Any help would be well appreciated.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First timer

If your planning on using a bow a blind is almost essential whether it be made of branches and stuff or a store bought one. you need to have something to conceal your movements. As far as calls I would recommend some sort of "push button" or "push pin" call as they are very easy to use and usually sound pretty good. practice makes perfect when it comes to calls. decoys are essential but they help take attention off you when the bird is coming in. make sure your camoflauged well too. turkeys have extremely good eyesight and hearing for that matter so you dont have to call too loud for them to hear you. try to do some preseason scouting to learn their patterns. as tempting as it may be try not to call to much. If i have one coming in hot and heavy i just shut up and let him come in. IF you have any more questions just ask! hope this helps you out good luck be safe and have FUN!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry i meant that decoys are NOT essential in fact some states dont allow them so check your regulations.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

we are allowed to use them but I think I am going to use like 2 or 3. What works good for camo? I have predator spring green and brown deception. Thanks for the tips my man.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depending on your area if it's really greened up , I would try RealTree HD Green or Mossey Oak Spring Break up.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

Your spring green should be fine, although I've never busted a beard, concealment is the key factor. Remember to take the dry routes as well, nothing spoils a hunt like being wet. (joke) I am surprised RD didn't mention reading all the posts here as well as the NWTF website. This is my first spring hunt and after reading everything I can and practicing my calls I feel like a seasoned vet. LOL! I'll probably get busted by every bird in the woods!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BullRider115

Your spring green should be fine, although I've never busted a beard, concealment is the key factor. Remember to take the dry routes as well, nothing spoils a hunt like being wet. (joke) I am surprised RD didn't mention reading all the posts here as well as the NWTF website. This is my first spring hunt and after reading everything I can and practicing my calls I feel like a seasoned vet. LOL! I'll probably get busted by every bird in the woods!
Oh ... no you didn't
I did fail to mention about reading as much as you can , taking the ( dry route ) though the land is important.
You don't want to get wet and cold when your trying to hunt for that big tom.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 AM

read all you can and watch all you can on the tube.
if it were my first time, I would go with gun untill you see what can happen out there.a lot of people who have hunter with guns for years have yet to take a bird.
experence is the key,all you watch and read is nothing like the real thing.

#1 thing; if you have never hunted turkey before; my advice is "DON'T DO IT" it is like sex and drugs ; it's additive.. once you start,you can't stop!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the input guys! If it's anything like sex than I will be DOING IT for sure.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also it appears your from minnesota so I'm taking it thats where you'll be hunting. One important thing is to dress warm and in layers you might have to sit for 3 or more hours and it is darn cold at five in the morning. Also as obvious as it might be some people dont know it but when using a shotgun shoot them in the head or you'll be frustrated when they fly away like a B-52.

Quick Reply: First timer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.