Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

early season hunts

Old 03-08-2007, 09:29 AM

Default early season hunts

i hunt in mississippi and the season kicks off march 15!!! i was wondering what some strategy for early season calling was. i have never gotten a bird closer than 60 yards on the opening week... just what is the extra little umph that gets em on in early in the year?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: early season hunts

Depends on the weather. If its been warm and the turkeys have been active it is often where you are sitting. Other times, you have over called (this usually is the case) and the bird has hung up, waiting for the over-eager hen (read: you) to come the rest of the way.

Decoys often help immensely in certain situations, but they are not a magic cure all.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, he's right. Be careful not to overcall. That's why they usually hang up. Soft, subtle calling is almost always the right thing to do.

Sometimes if they hang up, I turn my head away from them and call very soft. This makes 'em think I'm going away and not very interested. THis works about 40% of the time. Once they hang up, you're usually screwed. Back out carefully and try at him at a completely different angle, or sneak back in a couple hours-and start over very quietly and casually.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

some good suggestions above. another trick to try that has been effective usually early in the season some flocks may still be figuring out there pecking order.try some fighting purrs either on a push pin call or two. and witha little practice can be done on a good slate call.watch out those longbeards may just come a runnin'
Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

>>>> Early season birds can be quite the challenge...... Lots of carefull scouting is the key IMHO. Learn where the gobblers want to be at certain times during the day. Get there ahead of them. Little or no calling is the rule. Be patient and don't expect alot of in-your-face gobblin' and running in on a string. Hang in there,and you'll bag your bird. Best of luck!