Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pattern every year?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pattern every year?

If you don't change your gun/choke/load combination from year to year, would your pattern change?

I'm dealing with limited time to prepare for turkey season because of a new job within my company, and I would like to use what little time I have to scout.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pattern every year?

absolutely. its best to pattern with at least 3 shot sizes every year. metal expands and shrinks in certain climates and temps so its best to pattern before you head out to the woods, find the load that best suites your choke and shooting distances. the more pellets in the kill zone the better off. Loads change from time to time so do not assume all mfg'd loads of the same load are going to shoot the same. They dont. Try 3 differnt mfg'd loads such as Remington, Federal, etc....they will not pattern the same.Also try different shot sizes and length shells such as 2 3/4, 3 inch and if yourereciever will take 3 1/2 inch, try them. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get what you are saying. It probably won't change that much if at all, but it is always a good idea to pattern it again just to make sure. Even if you use the same shell and choke year after year it is still a good idea to shoot a few times. Do not let someone do it for you. That person may shoot differently than you. You will have to make some time. It won't take long to do it.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

after i know what my gun does with a certin combo, no . if it aint broke dont fix it. now if i change choke ,or load ,or barrel ,yea then i will pattern the new set up. ( although i already have done that with every combo i currently own,and saved the targets and marked them accordingly )
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

If you don't change your gun/choke/load combination from year to year, would your pattern change?

I'm dealing with limited time to prepare for turkey season because of a new job within my company, and I would like to use what little time I have to scout.

Might be a stupid ? But how long does it take to set a target out at 40 yards and take 1 shot[&:]
Old 03-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I do.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being relatvely new to this I just like to get out and shoot a couple times before the season starts. If you've changed nothing in yor set-up then it shouldn't matter.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:16 PM

I do it every yr it doesnt hurt. What if you have a scope on your shotgun and it got bumped accidently then that gobbler with the 11" beard shows up and you shoot and watch him fly away. Pattern the shotgun wont hurt in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

There are probably several people including myself that when they first got into turkey hunting never patterned their gun at all. I was always into fishing and would refuse invitations to go hunting, until one spring afternoon while I was in taxidermy school my teacher (also a turkey hunting guide) told me to go buy some turkey loads because we were going hunting the next morning. I killed my first gobbler at 35 steps and never considered how my gun patterned.

My point is, if you feel rushed (I also know that feeling) and already know what your gun will do then I say don't worry about it.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It goes both ways. I personally pattern my gun every year...it just makes me feel better. But others I hunt with don't pattern their guns at all and consistantly take turkeys year after year.

So would I recommend it.....yes. Do you have to.....no.

Quick Reply: Pattern every year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.