Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pattern every year?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pattern every year?

I just bought a second scope because I use the same gun with different barrels for deer and turkey. Slugs in the fall, #5 shot in the spring. I got tired of having to re-zero when I change seasons. The mounts are easy enough to change out. I will shortly be putting my new scope on and sighting it in with some cheap bird shot, then zeroing it with the load I expect to use this spring. I patterned my gun with 2 different chokes and 3 or 4 different brands of shot in a couple of different sizes last year and I pretty much know what will pattern well now, its just a matter of ensuring the sights are on. I consider sighting in and patterning 2 different things. Of course, I may try patterning with different loads I haven't tried before or if I acquire a new choke tube, but if I use the same tube and same loads as last year, just making sure the scope is on is all I plan on doing.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Fork Horn

Likely to change with same choke, gun, shell etc............ no. Worth checking with at least 1 shot at 40 or 30 JUST to check it, ABSOLUTELY!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

Yup. But I also tend to try different types of shells too.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

If you don't change your gun/choke/load combination from year to year, would your pattern change?

I'm dealing with limited time to prepare for turkey season because of a new job within my company, and I would like to use what little time I have to scout.

Might be a stupid ? But how long does it take to set a target out at 40 yards and take 1 shot[&:]
The problem is that my lease is 5 hours away and I live in the DFW area where there aren't many (or any, anymore) places to shoot.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 3 gobblers

I do it every yr it doesnt hurt. What if you have a scope on your shotgun and it got bumped accidently then that gobbler with the 11" beard shows up and you shoot and watch him fly away. Pattern the shotgun wont hurt in my opinion.
You are assuming that I use a scope or rifle sights, which I don't. My setup is a bead setup that doesn't move.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

What everyone is saying, including myself, is that it's a good idea to shoot your gun a couple of times just to make sure. If your gun shot good last year with the same choke and shells then it will more than likely do it this year. My gun shoots the same every year, but I still shoot it several times before each season. Is there a range nearby where you live? There has got to be somewhere closer than five hours where you can shoot.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pattern mine at least one shot each season before season just for my own confindence. It never changes but I still shoot at least one shell into a target at 30yds.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 PM

if you dont use a scope dont worry about it. it can help build confidence like others say, but i read it above, "if it aint broke dont fix it". great advice. if you keep everything the same, and there is no scope to knock off, i wouldnt waste the shell on a paper target.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

Being relatvely new to this I just like to get out and shoot a couple times before the season starts. If you've changed nothing in yor set-up then it shouldn't matter.
yep, it gets ya in the mood espically when their isnt anything else to do. I just like making sure the gun and everything fires and ejects the shells fine.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I live pretty close to the DFW area as well. I work in Irving. Go to a local range. Try Wiley's Guns. It will be about an hour drive. Take 20 east to 47. Go south 6 miles then follow the signs. they have a nice range. Or PM me. My lease is about 5 minutes from Wiley's. We can pattern our guns at the same time and then go shoot a hog! (Bring some slugs or another gun or a bow).

Quick Reply: Pattern every year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.