Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Feed?

Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey Feed?

What do you guys use in the deer feeders during spring turkey season to help attract turkey to the feeders during the day? I know that turkey eat any type of corn, grain, grass, etc...but do you use any feed in the deer feeder or not even bother with it?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Default RE: Turkey Feed?

some places it is illegal to hunt within 500 yards of a feeder. most people on here wont answer simply because they dont believe in using feeders for turkey hunting in the spring especially. I dont really care how someone else hunts within reason, so if i was in your shoes id try corn. idk why but out of all the stuff ive put out corn seems to draw them the best. try the beard builder supplement out and see if you notice a difference over the years.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

your gona find this funny, but places i have seen where the birds make there way into residential areas during the hard winter months, go crazy over plain old sunflower seeds, the bird feeder mix. so uh put the bird feeder next to the decoy. ( make shure your backed upagainst abig old oak tree, and keep you head down cause they take their seed serious, got this advice first hand from an old lady with a broom trying to get them away from her feeder. no she didnt let me hunt there i think she enjoyed venting on the birds )
Old 02-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know in Texas it's legal to hunt over a feeder, but in just about every other state it's illegal. I keep a corn-wheat mix in my deer feeder until it's time to stop feeding by law. The law in LA. states all feed must be removed fifteen days prior to season. I like to feed the deer and turkeys until this time. Even if it were legal to hunt over bait I wouldn't do it. Kind of takes the thrill out of the hunt.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:30 PM

i use chicken scratch ,milo,corn,deer protein is what i got out now all in one feeder

Old 02-15-2007, 03:46 PM

in Fla. you can't take turkey within 100 yards of a feed station.the wardens use GPS. the stand under the feeder then go to where you were and get a reading to see if it is within 100 yards.smart guys.

you can feed year round, just not hunt close to them.I keep my feeders (8 of them) going year round,with corn.the deer doesn't have a chance at the feeders right now.the turkeys are there when it goes off.they should all be really fat.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may try the Bird seed mix this spring
Old 02-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

We use corn in our feeders only during the winter. This is just to help the flocks stay healthy. We always remove them a month before spring season starts and then put them back up a week after fall season finsihes. We never hunt over feeders but to each their own....

Goatslayer........
Old 02-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spread 3-way chicken scratch on my food plots BEFORE the season. It's definitely illegal to bait a turkey. 3-way has cracked corn, milo, and I believe wheat. Any kind of chicken scratch works.Mix some black oil sunflower seeds in there too. Turkeys seem to eat up feed that's more spread out rather than if it's in a big pile so spread it out good.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:29 PM

i saw a show and they were talkin about a feed called vita rack beard builder it seems pretty darn good

Quick Reply: Turkey Feed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.