Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

getting permission to hunt

Old 02-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default getting permission to hunt

I was just curious as to how everybody goes about getting permission to hunt on someone's land? has anybody noticed one way of asking to be better than an other?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: getting permission to hunt

I only hunt on land that my friends own and go with the straight forward approach - "Do you mind if I hunt on your land?". If they allow me to hunt on their property, I assume full liability of anything that could possibly go wrong. I guess I'd use the same tactic if I was wanting to hunt on someone's land that I don't know. I'm pretty straight forward like that though.

The worse they can say is "No.".

Old 02-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

these days networking is much better than knocking on doors. what i mean by that is using people close to you to get you permission. maybe their family has a farm or family has land or something. mom got me permission a couple places with people she works with..buddys got me permission here and there..a professor gave me permission to hunt her 52 acres..lead me to a guy with 100 acres..he led me to a guy with a really large looking farm i need to visit some day...

i still knock on doors..but these days around here its getting tough...heavily posted land and dont want noone on it seems like its the norm...but it doesnt hurt to ask. all they can say is no. thank them and be on your way. the only permission ive gotten by knocking on doors is people that dont own the land i thought they did. just be yourself..be courteous..show up at good hours(not at night or dinner time or 6am or anything strange) introduce yourself and tell them you noticed alot of land around and were wondering if they might possibly let you hunt it.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

It would depend on how well or if I know the landowner. If I know them well I wouldjust ask. If they are an aquantance I've met a time or two, what I did the last time was send a letter and kind of "give the landowner the ball". He called me almost right away and I now have access to 1800 acres of private ground. If I didn't know the landowner at all, I'd probably stop by to introduce myself and ask in person. I'd also make sure I looked halfway decent when I stopped by. Hope this helps
Old 02-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just drive up and, without being dressed in any camo, get right to the point andask for permission to hunt on their land. Most people I have asked over the years don't want anyone hunting deer on their land, because of family, and close friends, etc. hunting deer on their property. I then politely ask just tospring turkey hunt during just the month of May here in NY. Most times, I get a yes response, especially if I make it a point that it will be only me, myself, and I doing the hunting. If I do get a yes, I make it a point of buying a small pen knife and giving that to themshowing myappreciation. Works for me.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, it's a good gesture and friendly thing to do especially if you're a hunter yourself, but if you give permission to hunt on your property and somethinghappens to them on your property, you are liable for damages.

Guys, everything has to be in writing! Enter At Your Own Risk........And Signed By Them AfterSecuring theirIdentification. Another risky task, if you chargeto hunt your property, you better have a good HuntersInsurance Policy enforced.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

When I hunt other states or in my own state, it's been a mix of knowing someone and getting permission that way or having to knock on a few doors. I just try to treat people as I'd want to be treated. I usually ask permission fairly quick into the conversation and then listen to what they are saying. I've met some really good people hunting out west and in the midwest as well and I probably wouldn't have met them if I hadn't asked. As an example, a hunting partner of mine had gotten permission to turkey hunt on a farm in this valley. So I tagged along the next spring and asked who lived down the valley road. He didn't know so I went down to ask permission to hunt. The owner said "Yes" and we hunted. The next year, he invited us in for supper and it just rolled on from there. I started bringing my deep fryer along and cooking turkeys and walleyes for them and the neighboring farm. They were good people and I made a few good friends out of the deal. Just shows you what can happen when you knock on a few doors!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not done much searching out for property, but one way I have come to find out is asking for permission to shed hunt this time of year. (look for antlers) just in case you didnt know. This in one way to break the ice and just get a foot in the door. They will find they like you and may make it easier to get hunting permision. I have not done this myself but sure seems like a great idea.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I start by asking for small things. For example, I rarely ask to bowhunt deer right away. I start with permission to shed hunt or turkey hunt. Most farmers aren't big fans of turkeys, so they will gladly let you hunt. If you get on, make sure you buy them a gift in appreciation. Treat the land like it is your own. Then when you go back for permission the next year or for some other type of hunting, they will remember how well the first season went.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Well, it's a good gesture and friendly thing to do especially if you're a hunter yourself, but if you give permission to hunt on your property and somethinghappens to them on your property, you are liable for damages.

Guys, everything has to be in writing! Enter At Your Own Risk........And Signed By Them AfterSecuring theirIdentification. Another risky task, if you chargeto hunt your property, you better have a good HuntersInsurance Policy enforced.

As long as the landowner does not charge a fee his liability is small,he is protected by law. This however would not stop a shrewd lawyer from tying you up in court.

Quick Reply: getting permission to hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.